My thoughts on Kod

Martin Bean

Feb 1, 2011, 7:53:12 AM2/1/11
to Kod.app
First thoughts on Kod are I think this may be the Mac web development
IDE for me when it matures. But two things that are stopping me using
it now are:

1. Frequent crashes. Kod seems to frequently crash, from opening a
file to switching focus to my web browser to view changes to a web
page. Not good for iterative development.

2. The syntax highlighter seems bodged. For example, when writing a
PHP script and opening quotes, it re-colours the code from that point
on and won't right itself when I type another quote to close a string.
To restore formatting, I have to either select an alternative syntax
and then switch back to PHP; or cut the whole document and re-paste.

I realise Kod is in very early days, but I feel these two are the
major issues at the moment.

Rasmus Andersson

Feb 1, 2011, 8:26:41 AM2/1/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 13:53, Martin Bean <mar...@mcbwebdesign.co.uk> wrote:
> First thoughts on Kod are I think this may be the Mac web development
> IDE for me when it matures. But two things that are stopping me using
> it now are:
>
> 1. Frequent crashes. Kod seems to frequently crash, from opening a
> file to switching focus to my web browser to view changes to a web
> page. Not good for iterative development.

To my knowledge, 99.99% of all crashes are due to either:

1. The source-highlight parser (which we recently abandoned)

2. implicit C++ destructor accessing a prematurely freed observer
(When closing the app or a window) in chromium-tabs

No 1 is no longer an issue (although the new text parser will probably
case a crash or two), but no 2 need some love. Fixing it is—like
everything else—up being fixed by anyone who wants to fix it.

> 2. The syntax highlighter seems bodged. For example, when writing a
> PHP script and opening quotes, it re-colours the code from that point
> on and won't right itself when I type another quote to close a string.
> To restore formatting, I have to either select an alternative syntax
> and then switch back to PHP; or cut the whole document and re-paste.

As mentioned, we are moving toward a different text parsing system
(with a much cleaner design). Thus any syntax highlighting-related
bugs in 0.0.3 are no longer relevant.

> I realise Kod is in very early days, but I feel these two are the
> major issues at the moment.

I agree. Crash bugs are #1 blocker for people to use Kod 0.0.3 IMO.

> --

Rasmus Andersson

Антон Кузнецов

Aug 23, 2013, 11:52:25 AM8/23/13
to kod...@googlegroups.com
Rasmus,

On1 February 2011 'rsms' wrote:

>> Frequent crashes. Kod seems to frequently crash,
>> Not good for iterative development.

> To my knowledge, 99.99% of all crashes are due to either:
> I agree. Crash bugs are #1 blocker for people to use Kod 0.0.3 IMO
> -- Rasmus Andersson

How to restore lost texts/files ?!
Is there anywhere temp (temporary / backup) files with edited texts?

// Thank you.
// -- Anton Kuznetsov