Kobotoolbox & Google sheet Sync

ti saigon

Aug 11, 2016, 6:50:05 AM8/11/16
to Kobo Users
Dear friends,
i want to sync data from Kobotoolbox to Google sheet.
Do you have tool or addon do it?
Thank you much

Tino Kreutzer

Aug 13, 2016, 5:58:20 PM8/13/16
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
There's a small script for that, which just uses our API and GoogleSpreadsheets code. See https://github.com/kobotoolbox/kobocat-googleapps-scripts

Tino

ti saigon

Aug 13, 2016, 8:30:13 PM8/13/16
to Kobo Users
Thanks Tino,
Do you know, how often sync/update data between Google sheet and Kobotoolbox? Ex: 2x/ hour or xxx/day
Thanks

Tino Kreutzer

Aug 14, 2016, 6:54:54 AM8/14/16
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ti,
It's updated when you click the button after following the instructions. If you have suggestions on how to improve it or the documentation, please feel free to edit it - it's open source code!

Tino

ti saigon

Aug 14, 2016, 11:24:47 PM8/14/16
to Kobo Users
Thánks Tino,
I see.
Do you known other not free solution, can i pay for this.
Thanks

Pandu Setia Wibawa

Sep 20, 2016, 4:35:32 AM9/20/16
to Kobo Users
Hi, Tino,

Thanks for your info,
I have a question in step of sync it

In point 6 and 7. that "6 .Select your kobocat form which updates this sheet" and "7. Click 'Submit' and 'OK' to the popup"

can you help me how to doing that step

Thank you

Pierre Grandidier

Sep 21, 2016, 2:30:31 PM9/21/16
to Kobo Users
HI,

thanks for this great initiative.
I am also stuck after "5. Click 'OK' to the popup"...
Nothing happens and I do not get any possibility to Select my kobocat form which updates this sheet.

Do you have any clue?

Thanks!

mgri...@aloterrallc.com

Oct 5, 2016, 9:47:10 AM10/5/16
to Kobo Users
This could be a great tool but I am also stuck at point 5. I don't get the option to choose a form. The script asks for my API code each time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

mgri...@aloterrallc.com

Oct 5, 2016, 6:01:33 PM10/5/16
to Kobo Users
Quick update which might be helpful. I was able to use the execution transcript to determine that the code was getting hung at line 121

var kobocat_username = kobocat_users[0]["username"];

I replaced the "kobocat_users[0]["username"]" with 'USERNAME' and the code is working.

Hopefully others will find the same resolution.

Thanks.

Pierre Grandidier

Oct 19, 2016, 6:18:44 AM10/19/16
to Kobo Users
Hi,

thanks for the update.
I have tried to implement your input but on my side I am still stuck at step 5.
No matter if I click on "set-up" or "import data", the script keeps on asking my API and informs me that it is saved. But it never pops up with my list of forms...

Any clue to solve this?
This is a very important feature!

Thanks to all !
Message has been deleted

Steve Dipangrazio

Apr 18, 2017, 11:05:27 AM4/18/17
to Kobo Users
Like the others, I am stuck at the point that it asks for my API token after going "Update from kobocat" -> "Setup." After entering it, I am not prompted to select the form I would like to use. Am I doing something wrong/is there anything I can do manually to connect it to the right form?

Perhaps separately, the execution hints also say that the UiApp API is deprecated.

Thanks!

Johnny Knox

Apr 19, 2017, 3:23:45 AM4/19/17
to Kobo Users
I agree.  This is why I have asked about Zapier updates so that Zapier can do the leg work of updating content in whatever service we use.  Does anyone know of a way to use Zapier with Kobo?

pho...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2017, 1:00:13 PM4/25/17
to Kobo Users
Like others here, I also had problems with the project that Tino linked, so I ended up having to write my own. You can find it here: https://github.com/pcurrier/KoboToolbox-GoogleApps-Scripts. It can pull data from kobo into a google sheet, and can also push from a google sheet back to the kobo server. It supports basic and token authentication (haven't been able to get OAuth2 working yet).

The code is working for the projects I personally deal with, but I have not tested it exhaustively on a wide range of different surveys. You should consider this project experimental, and do your own testing.

If you have problems feel free to open an issue in github.

Nicolas LC

May 18, 2017, 6:48:03 AM5/18/17
to Kobo Users
Hi, I was able to make it work by editing rows 188&119

var kobocat_users = JSON.parse(UrlFetchApp.fetch('https://kc.kobotoolbox.org/api/v1/<ADD YOUR user name here>',getUrlFetchOptions()).getContentText());
  var kobocat_username = '<ADD YOUR user name here>';

hope that works... best

Steve Dipangrazio

May 18, 2017, 9:30:10 AM5/18/17
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
I'll give that a try. Thanks!

alexandra...@nrc.no

May 25, 2017, 9:58:18 AM5/25/17
to Kobo Users
I made it work with your way! thanks a million for that!
Something maybe useful I found out is that it doesn't shows the questions that are in a nested group. I solved it using only 1-level grouping but if anyone has any good idea it's more than welcome ;)

Derek Caelin

Jun 20, 2017, 10:48:55 AM6/20/17
to Kobo Users
I was freezing on step 5 as well, but after deleting all of my unused forms until I got down to 2 or 3, I was able to select my desired form.

Ahmed Hassan

Aug 28, 2017, 6:06:59 AM8/28/17
to Kobo Users
Dear All,

I tested Kobotoolbox sync with google sheet and it was worked, but Manually,
I mean((You must click on the Kobotoolbox button and then click on the entry then “Select the survey(s) to import” then choose “Import data into which sheet?” finally “Import survey data” for update the data from Kobo to excel sheet)).
But, I need automatically, do you have any ways

Pierre Grandidier

Aug 28, 2017, 9:15:16 AM8/28/17
to Kobo Users
Dear Ahmed,
I am glad that the Kobo-GSheet synch is working on your side. It is also working for me.
You can easily set up some automated time based triggers on any Google script. I have set up mine to update every 5 minutes.
Please follow this link which describes it well:

I hope this helps!
Pierre

dohukd...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2017, 4:46:03 AM8/30/17
to Kobo Users

Hello Pierre,

I try it, but I don't know how to chose the forms form kobo to update the data to sheet,
for Example , I have form from Kobo the name is : Assessment GB and I have other, in google sheet I have Assessment_GB_2017 with other sheet , so, How I can automatically update the data from Assessment GB to Assessment_GB_2017.

please see the attache

Best,
Ahmed

dohukd...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2017, 4:48:38 AM8/30/17
to Kobo Users
Thank you Pierre very much,
it is good way to make automatically

Peter Smith

Sep 21, 2017, 10:51:13 PM9/21/17
to Kobo Users
Thanks Pierre, your script works great!

The only issue I've found is when the Kobo form contains repeated groups of questions. In this case, only the first group of responses for each individual record gets imported into the Google Sheet like this:

When I export the XLS file from the Kobo website, however, each group is given its own tab. Do you think it could be possible to replicate this in the Google Sheets script as well?

Thanks again!
Peter

Fachrizal Sinaga

Nov 21, 2017, 3:27:28 AM11/21/17
to KoBoToolbox Users

Hello,

I really apreaciate for the script in this thread,

I have a problem, all the data from Kobo show 'undefined' when it get imported to google spreadsheets,
If anybody know what's wrong with this ?

thanks,
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Rocky Kumar

May 18, 2018, 6:37:49 AM5/18/18
to KoBoToolbox Users
Hey Tino,
I have tried following the instruction but after completing the authorization part, when I re-run the code then it shows error. I'm able to cover till 7th instruction of installation. But then the code is showing some kind of error. I'm attaching the file alongwith. Please help me.

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 4.03.07 PM.png

tghlogfi...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2018, 1:50:44 PM6/19/18
to KoBoToolbox Users

Dear Pierre,
I'm using your script to import kobo data in a google sheet : everything works well, but the script doesn't just import the new or updated data: it re-imports all the data each time and pastes them below the already downloaded data that are thus duplicated.
Could you please tell me if it's normal (which means that I must clean the GSheet each time before importing) ?
Thanks for your answer.
Kind regards,
Serge

Shashidhar Sa

Jun 22, 2018, 3:56:38 PM6/22/18
to KoBoToolbox Users
yes its true it doesnot update it reimport everything,i used one more script to remove duplicates so that it feels updated

Gavin Taylor

Nov 8, 2018, 1:44:49 AM11/8/18
to KoBoToolbox Users
Hi Fachrizal,

Did you find a solution to the 'Undefined' problem?

Thanks