Urgent: KoboCollect Android app error

Mahrukh Khan

Oct 2, 2018, 3:39:15 AM10/2/18
to KoBoToolbox Users
Hi,

My field team is trying to send the finalized forms from their KoboCollect android application but they keep seeing this error:

"Error: Generic
Exception: Chain validation failed"

There are around 100 surveys in the phone right now which need to be sent to the online server but this error keeps on occurring even after restarting the phone several times.

Anybody here has any idea how to resolve this?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanking in anticipation!

Jesaja Everling

Oct 2, 2018, 3:43:44 AM10/2/18
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mahrukh,

try to install ODKCollect. It should pick up your submissions automatically I think (the folder structure should be the same). Better try on one device first, or maybe even with dummy data.
I think I read somewhere that KoboCollect is not actively maintained anymore.

Best,

Jesaja

Mahrukh Khan

Oct 2, 2018, 3:47:17 AM10/2/18
to KoBoToolbox Users
Hi Jesaja,

Thanks for the prompt response. KoboCollect has been working fine since the last one month - it is only now that we are seeing this error in one of the smartphones only.

Is there a way to somehow transfer these 100 surveys stuck in the smartphone? Will ODKCollect help with that?

Jesaja Everling

Oct 2, 2018, 3:53:40 AM10/2/18
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
It depends. The error message looks like this specific phone has a problem verifying the SSL certificate of the KoBo server (kobotoolbox I assume). That might be an issue with the Android system, in which case ODKCollect is not going to help. But I think it would be worth a try still, in case only the KoBoCollect app has a problem verifying the certificate.
If that doesn't work, you might want to try to move the odk folder from the storage of the affected phone to a different phone. I think that should work, it should be self-contained. But I haven't tried that myself so no guarantees.

Hope this helps,

Jesaja

Jesaja Everling

Oct 2, 2018, 3:58:05 AM10/2/18
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
The easiest way to move the folder is to zip it using something like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.zdevs.zarchiver or an advanced file manager like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rhmsoft.fm, send the zip via email or other means and then do the reverse on the target phone (make sure to rename the odk folder there before if one exists).
And doing a backup of the odk folder of the affected phone certainly never hurts.

Best,

Jesaja