On the editor issue - Slate

Daniel Goldsmith

Apr 19, 2017, 6:14:36 AM4/19/17
to Known Developers
Just regarding the question of the editor and the (apparently abandoned) attempt to use quill.js:

I came across this project on github - https://docs.slatejs.org/

Its an extensible and customisable js rich text editor, and the creator's notes on quill appear
to mirror some of the difficulties known had with that library previously.

Just thought this was worth putting out there.

Erin Richey

May 1, 2017, 1:05:09 PM5/1/17
to Daniel Goldsmith, Known Developers
Thanks, Daniel.  We'll take a look at Slate and its capabilities.

We haven't abandoned the idea of moving to Quill (or another editor) as Known's rich text editor, but we needed to pause development there and focus on some more pressing work.

If we use Quill (or any other editors), we'll need to customize it to support media players and other media embeds. Being able to easily drop in YouTube or Vimeo videos, SoundCloud links, and embeds for maps and infographics is key to a lot of our users. We don't want to eliminate this capability if we switch to another editor.

On the flip side, Tiny MCE isn't perfect when people copy and paste text from another editor into it. Inline styles can get carried over from Word, Google Docs, WordPress, etc. We try to strip some of this out in Tiny MCE, but we can't catch everything. Sometimes this just means that font face or font color is off for one Known post because they style has been copied over from another source. In the worst case scenario, we've seen occasions where inline code comes in when copying and pasting from Microsoft Word that breaks formatting on an entire site.

I'm curious to learn more about Slate's capabilities.

Erin

--
Known: https://withknown.com/
Documentation: http://docs.withknown.com/

Erin Richey
co-founder
erin@withknown.com | @erinjo
Known, Inc | 421 Bryant St | San Francisco, CA 94107