Known roadmap for 1.5 and 2.0

Ben Werdmuller

Dec 5, 2019, 4:49:21 PM12/5/19
to Known Developers

After Marcus's amazing work to push 1.0 to release, I've been starting to look at the roadmap for the next few versions. As is appropriate, you can find this on GitHub.

I would love your feedback. There are a couple of things to note:
  • It took us literally years to get to 1.0. I've decided to put a stake in the ground and go for six monthly releases going forward.
  • I am planning to return to significant development on Known. We will also be using the Open Collective to finance more development.
  • Known is compatible with indieweb but Known is not an indieweb project. We won't tether feature releases to indieweb developments, although where they're useful, we'll add them to the platform.
  • APIs, integrations, and interoperability are a core part of the plan going forward, but not syndication to external services, due to the volatility of those APIs.
What do you think is missing? What would you like to see? Reply here and let's have a conversation.

Ben

--
Ben Werdmuller
werd.io | @benwerd

Paul Lindner

Dec 5, 2019, 7:01:10 PM12/5/19
to Ben Werdmuller, Known Developers
Yay, please use OC!  Don;t forget to fund downstream as appropriate.

Releases/Plugins:
- A  travis run that pulls in ALL plugins and tests them for compatibility.  At the very least that there are no compile errors.
- Potential community forking of inactive plugins.   Reactions is one that could use some love; there are others.

Integrations
- Improved Bulk import?  Personally I'd like to make it easy to convert an existing site to Known.  This could possibly be done generically via micropub.
- Personally I'd like to use it to do better PESOS.
- Which means enough documented APIs/hooks that would allow for IndieWeb functionality.
- I still use the twitter/mastodon integrations.  At least keep Mastodon support working?
- Unified @mentions would be nice too.  Either directly by service or by keying local contacts to the external service to allow for unified mentions.

UI/UX
- Kill off bootstrap, use grid or alt
- Invest in a professional designer to do a theme cleanup/refresh
- WebComponents?
- Would love to see someone work on the tinymce inline-editor, (real wysiwyg with themes)
- Make sure mobile use-cases are well supported.  A Known Admin/Posting PWA would be nice.

Basics
- Backups
- Archive Integration with Internet Archive (plugin?)
- Improved Image/File handling.
- Javascript cleanup, potentially bundle assets using webpack or something.

Pie-in-the-sky
- Abstract the data layer to better able store in distributed systems, DAT or IPFS.
- Full interaction with the fediverse without bridgy?
- KnownCoin (okay maybe not)

--
Known: https://withknown.com/
Documentation: http://docs.withknown.com/

Ben Werdmuller

Dec 5, 2019, 8:12:54 PM12/5/19
to Paul Lindner, Known Developers

Thanks for this awesome list, Paul!

I'm going to reply inline:

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 4:01 PM Paul Lindner <lin...@inuus.com> wrote:
Yay, please use OC!  Don;t forget to fund downstream as appropriate.

Absolutely! Once we've cleaned up some of the dependencies we will start doing this.

Releases/Plugins:
- A  travis run that pulls in ALL plugins and tests them for compatibility.  At the very least that there are no compile errors.

Once again - absolutely. We need to make better use of automated tests and Travis.

- Potential community forking of inactive plugins.   Reactions is one that could use some love; there are others.

I want to make sure we get our core ship in order, but once we've done that, this makes a ton of sense.

Integrations
- Improved Bulk import?  Personally I'd like to make it easy to convert an existing site to Known.  This could possibly be done generically via micropub.

Yes. This should be better once we have full Known-Known data portability, but we'll need to build real importers for platforms like WP, Ghost, Tumblr, etc. I'll add that to the roadmap.

- Personally I'd like to use it to do better PESOS.

I've been wondering about using webhooks, micropub, or a generic API together with a hosted service to achieve PESOS. Similarly, as you rightly point out, better-documented, better-defined API endpoints will be key. I have this on the roadmap.

- Which means enough documented APIs/hooks that would allow for IndieWeb functionality.
- I still use the twitter/mastodon integrations.  At least keep Mastodon support working?

I think we need native fediverse support. But yes, we should keep these core plugins working for now.

- Unified @mentions would be nice too.  Either directly by service or by keying local contacts to the external service to allow for unified mentions.

An absolute requirement, already on the roadmap.

UI/UX
- Kill off bootstrap, use grid or alt

Yes - definitely.

- Invest in a professional designer to do a theme cleanup/refresh

I have one in mind for this - once we've eliminated Bootstrap we'll be able to execute on this.

- WebComponents?

I think not quite yet, but I'm keeping an eye on browser support.

- Would love to see someone work on the tinymce inline-editor, (real wysiwyg with themes)
- Make sure mobile use-cases are well supported.  A Known Admin/Posting PWA would be nice.

Strong yes. I have mobile apps on the roadmap, but not specifically a PWA. We should do this.

Basics
- Backups
- Archive Integration with Internet Archive (plugin?)
- Improved Image/File handling.
- Javascript cleanup, potentially bundle assets using webpack or something.

Yes to all except the Internet Archive (which could be a plugin). Backups through data portability, improved image / file handling, and webpack-delivered JS.

Pie-in-the-sky
- Abstract the data layer to better able store in distributed systems, DAT or IPFS.

We have an IPFS plugin. It would be really cool to drill into how we could make a Known site fully-distributed.

- Full interaction with the fediverse without bridgy?

This for sure.

- KnownCoin (okay maybe not)

Hey, I'm not necessarily against it! Maybe in the shorter term something like an Unlock integration.

Thanks again for all of these.

Ben

Jonathan LaCour

Dec 7, 2019, 1:22:00 PM12/7/19
to Ben Werdmuller, Known Developers
Ben,

I’m thrilled to hear that you’re going to be driving Known forward! A big thanks to Marcus for pushing 1.0 across the finish line as well.

Looking through the roadmap, I’m generally quite happy with what I see! The one area of opportunity that I think is missing is outlined in this ticket:

I recognize that it’s a use case that is complex, but I truly believe that an ecosystem of CMS options and hosted platforms that enable private sharing in a privacy focused, open way can make a big dent in adoption and encourage people to move away from the big silos.

Just my two cents!

- J

Ben Werdmuller

Dec 7, 2019, 2:16:09 PM12/7/19
to Jonathan LaCour, Known Developers

I just added your ticket to the roadmap. It's something I've wanted to do since literally day one. And I believe we know enough now to do it well.

I also just added moving away from UUIDs in the internal platform, which were established because of my desire to create distributed resource access, but are in practice an impediment to portability. Cool URIs change all the freaking time, is the lesson I've learned.

Jonathan LaCour

Dec 7, 2019, 2:32:52 PM12/7/19
to Ben Werdmuller, Known Developers
🙌🏻  Awesome!