Known 0.99 - and beyond

Ben Werdmüller

May 14, 2017, 8:10:16 PM5/14/17
to Known Dev

Hello!

If you're on the Known customer mailing list, you may have seen that we just turned three years old. In fact, I wrote the first lines of code even longer ago than that, in February 2013.

So: let's get back to it.

After a quiet year, we're going to make a new release. Tomorrow.

Known 0.9.9: May 15, 2017

There have been a lot of changes since last April, but here are some things of note:
  • This version is faster, more stable, and has lots of improvements under the hood.
  • The open source version of Known no longer comes with ties to commercial services like Convoy. Services like Reclaim Hosting may still provide their own integrated social media services. (The social media plugins are still available separately.)
  • Indieweb interactions like "like" and "repost" are core, and indieweb support in general has been upgraded.
The target date for Known 1.0 is June 20, 2017.

Going forward, the aim is to make Known leaner, and to allow developers to build simple integrations more easily. For example, you might integrate Known into an existing user database, or you might post to it using Slack-like webhooks (or indieweb standards like micropub). Using Known as a back-end API for native applications and single-page web apps will also become much easier. Conversely, we will be removing lots of unused code for hidden features like the built-in reader, which never saw the light of day. We'd rather Known was small and light than a Swiss army knife.

Things that will be possible:
  • Integrate a multi-user Known community into your existing website and user accounts
  • Post to your Known site using tools created by the indieweb community
  • Automatically post to a Known site from your connected devices
  • Build a theme for Known using modern frameworks like AngularJS
Known's commercial services, led by Erin Richey, will continue to exist, powered by this same engine. In particular, these support connected community spaces for classes, campuses and companies.

Ben

Ben Werdmüller

May 16, 2017, 10:26:06 AM5/16/17
to Known Dev

Just following up to this thread to confirm that Known 0.99 was released yesterday. It's available in two ways:
Ben

Jeremy Monroe

Jul 6, 2017, 11:24:15 PM7/6/17
to Known Developers
Thanks for the information Ben. Hope all has been well for you. Looking forward to being a part of Known's existence and future.