Mobile Push Notifications / Progressive Web App (PWA) Support?

3hy...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2019, 6:02:20 PM1/5/19
to Known Developers
Hello, all.

Is there any plan in the future for support of the following?
-Mobile Push Notifications
-Progressive Web App (PWA)

The reason I ask, is because I am searching for a way to self host a family social wall/website and I believe that Known could easily fill this requirement if it had push notification support.

Here is what I am trying to replace and host myself:
FamilyWall - Family Organizer & Locator
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.familywall&hl=en_US
On the Wall, you can browse all activities and interactions among family members. All posts (messages, locations, photo uploads, Events, and contacts) are logged sorted by date through a time-lined representation.
-Family Calendar and Lists
-Real Time Family Locator
-Family Conversation
-Family Gallery
-Family Contacts

Many open source scripts lack push notification support (traditional bulletin board style forums) for free and/or have not moved to support PWA.
I think it's clear that a majority of people use their mobile phone/tablets for these types of websites/scripts now.

I believe that PWA support would be the easy solution for Android (still waiting for full Service Worker support for iOS).

Alternavitely, a plugin that utilized a third party push notification API like OneSignal would work, too. However, I dislike these types of solutions because the third party tends to monitor/sell your data.

I have to say, I have installed A LOT of free open source scripts (from Buddypress to HumHub to Social Engine) looking for a solution that supports FREE push notifications, and I have had no luck whatsoever.

Thoughts?