View this page "Alex's Results #1 - Algorithm" (and 2-5)

Alex

Apr 27, 2008, 4:40:44 PM4/27/08
to knot theory reu

Click on http://groups.google.com/group/knottheoryreu/web/alexs-results-1---algorithm?hl=en
- or copy & paste it into your browser's address bar if that doesn't
work.

marg...@math.utah.edu

Apr 27, 2008, 11:04:59 PM4/27/08
to knot theory reu
Hi Alex,

Sounds pretty clean. I don't think your discussion quite matches up
with the picture, though, does it? Judging from your film, it seems
like the proceudre is this: move the red lines apart, and do your
surgery if either: you see a pair of crossings (your picture) or you
see the "0 tangle" (i.e. two unlinked almost-vertical strands). I a
guessing that this is what you meant when you said "cut out the
middle"?

Perhaps another way to say this is that there are two kinds of
"events" that the red lines can witness: a crossing, and a "birth".

Is this a correct assessment?

Dan