We're 1!

Knotions Magazine

Aug 4, 2009, 7:32:36 AM8/4/09
to knot...@googlegroups.com
A year ago today we launched our first issue!

I remember how crazy the weeks leading up to that day were.  Experimenting with layouts for the patterns, working with the designers to get instructions right, working every night until 10 or 11 o'clock.  And then when I was ready to launch, biting my nails and hoping that everything worked, that the server wouldn't crash and that you all liked what we had to offer.

The server didn't crash that day, but it sure did the day before the launch of issue 2 (winter).  It took a full two weeks and countless hours on the phone with tech support to fix things, and in the end I had to switch hosting providers to resolve the problem.  That was a very stressful time and your supportive comments really kept me going.

The launch of issue 3 (spring) had to be delayed due to my mom's illness.  It was a scary few months but I'm happy to report that mom is doing really well (yay mom!), and the spring issue launched without much trouble as well.

By the time we got to issue 4 (summer), things were going pretty smoothly.  I was worried about the timing because I had unintentionally scheduled it to launch the Tuesday after Maryland Sheep & Wool.  But it all worked out and the issue launched on time.  Phew!

In the past year I've made a lot of new friends - our designers, who create the beautiful work that grace our pages; our advertisers, who make it possible to produce the magazine; and most of all, you - our readers.  I couldn't ask for a better set of people to share all this with - your support, your kind words, your encouragement are all appreciated more than I can say.

And for that I have a little surprise for you!  As you may have heard (wink wink) there's this little thing called Sock Summit this weekend in Portland, Oregon.  If you're able to attend, that's great!  But if you're like me, other commitments (*cough* fall issue *cough*) are keeping you from attending.  So, in celebration of our first anniversary, and as a small token of our thanks and appreciation to all our readers we're doing Knotions Commotions - a mini issue dedicated to sock knitting.

Starting Friday and continuing throughout the weekend we'll release new sock patterns, tutorials and articles. And as a special surprise I'm super excited to announce that we've teamed up with the Knitmore Girls (I love their podcast) for daily Sock Summit reports from the field.  Even if you can't attend the summit you can still enjoy a little socky goodness.

So get your needles ready, pick out some of your favorite sock yarn, and join us on Friday to kick it off!

Knit smarter!

Jody