March Newsletter

Knitty City

Mar 27, 2012, 12:22:39 PM3/27/12
to knitt...@googlegroups.com

The Creative Staff & Talented Customers of Knitty City

We’re very proud of our staff, present and past, as well as the talented customers at Knitty City, and we thought you might like to know more about some of them.  So, in the weeks to come, we will be sharing stories and projects that we feel illustrate the depth of their talents, yarn related and otherwise.  This week, we begin with a profile of Michelle Wang, a full time knit wear designer, whose work, as a member of the creative team at Brooklyn Tweed, has put her in the eye of the current knit scene.

Michelle, an NYU business major, was always intrigued by the world of style and fashion.  So, she pursued her creative muse by taking evening fashion classes at Parsons, while working full time. About 6 years ago, her interest in fashion coincided with her learning to knit and she began to hone her skills as a knitwear designer.  A propitious meet up with Pearl led her to a part time position at Knitty City.  Considering the fact that she was working full time, it was an impressive undertaking, and a valuable one in that it put her in the arena of the knitting world.  It also gave her the opportunity to interact with some of the designers and customers who frequent the store.  Highly motivated, she began sample knitting for people such as Shirley Paden and Mari Tobita.  Simultaneously, she began to design her own patterns, and it wasn't long before that work took flight and her designs began appearing in Vogue Knitting and on Ravelry.  When Jared Flood, creator of Brooklyn Tweed Designs and yarns, asked her to contribute to his collection, her career took flight and pretty soon her day job was a thing of the past.  She is now able to concentrate full time on her original love:  design and style.  The newest release from Brooklyn Tweed, Spring Thaw features 6 of her designs, and as usual, she’s in good company.  It’s a great collection and we’re proud to offer it for sale in the store - as proud as we are to count Michelle as a friend of Knitty City.

Maxine Levinson, one of our many talented staff members and teachers, recommends Se(ven) Circle, a free Ravelry Pattern, as a cool spring/summer project.  Max made this version, using 3 colors of  Berocco Origami, a cotton and linen blend available at Knitty City.  Maxine also recommends String-Me Along, a thin thread with sequins that comes in several colors, as the ideal choice for a little bling, or Filatoria DiCrosa’s Cristallo, a cotton yarn with a glittery and sequined thread (all are available at the store).

Bunny, Bunny, Who’s Got the Bunny? A few weeks ago, we announced a contest and put out a call for knit, crochet or felted rabbits which we could feature in our April window.  As of this writing, we’re a little short on rabbits. So, please bring us your bunnies.  As long as they are 75% handmade, we’ll put them in the window.  To sweeten the call, we’re giving away 3 KC Gift cards for the most beguiling bunnies on the block. We promise to return them to you, safe and sound.  Come on - even bunnies need their 15 minutes of fame!

March Workshops and Events

Mitered Square Techniques with Diane - Wed, Mar. 28, 4-5 PM

Sock Techniques with Susie DippelFri, Mar. 30, 5-6 PM

Slip Stitch with Maxine LevinsonSat, Mar. 31, 12-2 PM

Come & See what it takes to make a dream come true. All Bah Yarns will be 10% off for the whole day.

April Workshops and Events

Nancy Eiseman @ Knitty City on Ravelry NightThu, Apr. 5, 6-8 PM
Nancy is a textile and knitwear designer whose works was recently on the cover of Interweave Magazine.  Please be sure to join us that evening, meet Nancy, hear about how she got started, meet your fellow Ravelers - Tea will be served.

Book Signing with Gwen Steeg - Sat, Apr. 21, 2-4 PM
The author of The Knitter’s Life List will be in the store to sign her new book

Knitty City’s sponsored Softball Team, The Fire Stix, Play at the Boat Basin Field (77th St.)
Sat, Apr. 21, 2:30 PM with a welcome reception afterwards at Knitty City, 5 PM.

Just In!

The newest issues of Knit Simple and Knitting Traditions are in.  We also have 5 copies left of JuJu’s Loops the popular new book from the London store, but hurry this is the second shipment and they sell like hotcakes!

We are now taking pre-orderes for Stitch n Pitch 2012 tickets!  The Mets will be playing St Louis on Sunday, June 3 at 2 PM.  Reserve your seats now by calling or coming into the store.

--

Knitty City
208 West 79th St.

We'll Keep You in Stitches