Kafka brokers with different bootstrap servers.

Anderson Soares

Nov 16, 2021, 12:04:32 PM11/16/21
to Knative Users
Hi All,

I've got a scenario where I need to have two Knative brokers however each will be pointing to different bootstrap servers.

kubectl get brokers

My bootstrap servers:
cluster01-bootstrap.kafka:9092
cluster02-bootstrap.kafka:9092

The point here is that both brokers use the same kafka-broker-config configmap.

I know so far that I can have multiple bootstrap servers by just separating with comma.
bootstrap.servers: "cluste01-bootstrap.kafka:9092, cluster02-bootstrap.kafka:9092".

However what about if I want that each broker use a different bootstrap server?

Thanks in advance.

Pierangelo Di Pilato

Nov 16, 2021, 12:34:13 PM11/16/21
to Anderson Soares, Knative Users
Hi Anderson,

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 6:04 PM Anderson Soares
<soaresan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've got a scenario where I need to have two Knative brokers however each will be pointing to different bootstrap servers.
>
> kubectl get brokers
> broker01 http://kafka-broker-ingress.knative-eventing.svc.cluster.local/default/broker01 8d True
> broker02 http://kafka-broker-ingress.knative-eventing.svc.cluster.local/default/broker02 11m True
>
> My bootstrap servers:
> cluster01-bootstrap.kafka:9092
> cluster02-bootstrap.kafka:9092
>
> The point here is that both brokers use the same kafka-broker-config configmap.
>
> I know so far that I can have multiple bootstrap servers by just separating with comma.
> bootstrap.servers: "cluste01-bootstrap.kafka:9092, cluster02-bootstrap.kafka:9092".
>
> However what about if I want that each broker use a different bootstrap server?

each broker can reference a different ConfigMap that has the same
fields of `kafka-broker-config` but it doesn't have to be
`kafka-broker-config`.

# ... Some Broker fields omitted
spec:
config:
apiVersion: v1
kind: ConfigMap
name: kafka-broker-config-cluster2
namespace: knative-eventing

is a valid `config` for the Kafka Broker, then in
`kafka-broker-config-cluster2` you will set:

bootstrap.servers: "cluster02-bootstrap.kafka:9092"

> All I found here: https://knative.dev/docs/eventing/broker/kafka-broker/
>

> Thanks in advance.

If this wasn't clear from the documentation, feel free to contribute!

> --

Pierangelo Di Pilato

Software Engineer

Red Hat, Inc