Knative Community Meetup - Going forward

María Cruz

Jan 30, 2023, 2:29:32 PM1/30/23
to Knative Developers, Knative Users, Teyza Ponce
Dear Knative community,
After almost three years of sponsoring the Knative Community Meetup, Google Open Source has decided to step down as a solo sponsor for this event series.

This program, which started in April of 2020, has brought the Knative project many successes, like exponentially growing its audience on YouTube and increasing the visibility of this technology to developers all over the world. You can learn more about the impact of the program in this lightning talk I presented at the first KnativeCon (at KubeCon EU 2022).

The good news is that the program is really well documented and anyone can take on this initiative to host and organize the meetup going forward! While we reached out to different companies that are invested in Knative, we haven't been successful in transitioning this program to one company. Towards the end of last year, we reached out to the Steering Committee with more ideas on how to keep the program going, but we still haven't heard back.

If you are reading this and feel community-organizing-curious, Teyza and myself will happily meet with you to walk through the process of organizing a meetup. It's a lot of fun, you meet a ton of people and you learn a lot 😊

Thank you to everyone who stepped up to present at a meetup, who joined a social media campaign, and thanks to everybody who participated in the meetup at least once. The community meetup has served as a wonderful space to keep the community connected across the globe, and it's been a joy to see the project grow so much in the last three years.

Cheers,

María

María Cruz (she/her) | Program Manager, Community Engagement | mpc...@google.com | Google Open Source