How to choose the correct network layer

Fengwei Tian

Jan 12, 2022, 1:20:38 AM1/12/22
to Knative Users
Hi all,

I've been working on KNative setup recently. I've seen a couple of network layer options:
IstioAmbassador, Contour, Kourier

I'm using EKS+AWS.

Could someone kindly guide me through the options?

Thanks,
Fengwei

Evan Anderson

Jan 12, 2022, 11:06:23 AM1/12/22
to Fengwei Tian, Knative Users
Hi Fengwei,

If you're just running Knative and not other applications on your cluster, Kourier is the lowest-overhead way to get started.

Kourier: purpose-built for running Knative, no additional features
Ambassador: an API gateway with ability to perform rate-limiting, etc
Contour: a Kubernetes Ingress implementation with cross-namespace delegation
Istio: a service mesh with various API and authorization controls

There's not a single "right" answer here, which is why we support multiple HTTP reverse proxies. You should install whichever one works best for your cluster.