Feedback Requested - Knative Slack

April Kyle Nassi

Oct 6, 2022, 4:52:59 PM10/6/22
to Knative Developers
Hi all, would love to get your thoughts on the Knative Slack and how you are using it for the project. Steering is considering dropping down to the free plan which would allow us to keep our own Slack instance as we have today (versus moving to the CNCF Slack instance where Knative would be represented via a few channels).
This would give us more flexibility in how we use Slack and the integrations we have with it, however it would mean no longer having message history past 90 days. Additionally we'd be limited to 10 app integrations - so if you are using an app as part of your workflow please let us know. Obviously the Github app is nearly universally used and would remain connected. :)

If you have any concerns about moving to the free plan or feedback on the proposal please let us know this week!

Thank you,
April on behalf of Knative Steering

Chris Suszynski

Oct 6, 2022, 6:41:22 PM10/6/22
to Knative Developers
Personally, I think moving to CNCF Slack is better than free plan. The limit on history might bite us hard in some cases. The CNCF Slack would most likely bring plenty of new people to Knative. It's just easier to join a channel on CNCF Slack, then register to an entirely new workspace. Especially if they are new, and are not sure whether they will like Knative or not.

Also, alternatives to Slack like Discord, or self-hosted open-source solutions like Mattermost, Element, Rocket.chat could be better than Slack's free plan.

April Kyle Nassi

Oct 7, 2022, 1:03:24 PM10/7/22
to Chris Suszynski, Knative Developers
To address some questions:

1) Yes, we can export existing conversations
2) We can still have a knative channel in the CNCF Slack workspace. There are a little over 900 channels in that workspace and the number will grow as CNCF accepts more projects. Users are unlikely to stumble upon the Knative channel there; rather they are more likely to visit our website and join chat/mailing lists from there.
3) Chat is great for quickly resolving a task; but the vast majority of our project conversations and discussions should be happening on github or on the mailing list. One of our project values is to use mailing lists and documents, etc for project discussion. The full history is preserved there, and these communication methods give everyone equal opportunity to speak up.
4) One of the key motivations for retaining our own Slack instance is that existing workflows used by the productivity team and others will remain in place; and that going forward we are able to create new workflows etc as best meets the needs of Knative.
5) We have reviewed other alternatives to Slack; Discord is a popular option but does not yet offer the same level of administrative tools and integrations. Rocket chat, Element, etc have feature parity but do require hosting - either a paid plan or self-hosted/installed. If there is a desire from the community to set one of these up please let us know!

Steering's opinion is that the Slack free plan allows us to continue working as we have, though without the long-term message history. That was viewed as acceptable because project decisions and discussions that need that lasting history should be happening on Github or mailing list.

David Hadas

Oct 7, 2022, 5:30:44 PM10/7/22
to April Kyle Nassi, Chris Suszynski, Knative Developers
My take is similar to Chris's comment -

In the context of helping bring more people to Knative, being on the same slack as Kubernetes is valuable.
Also in the context of improving Kubernetes to better support serverless - it is valuable
Also in the context of pushing Knative technology to be used in more generic Kubernetes use case it is valuable

It is much easier to get people from the Kubernetes more involved in Knative ad-hoc when they are on the same slack system.
It is also useful to consult with Kubernetes teams when we are on the same slack system

Being in CNCF has its advantages - the common slack in my view is one of them. Assuming we choose to use it.

DH

Naina Singh

Oct 7, 2022, 11:03:53 PM10/7/22
to David Hadas, April Kyle Nassi, Chris Suszynski, Knative Developers
Thank you April for doing this.
My vote is to move to CNCF Slack as well.
Being in the CNCF ecosystem can only help. Yes, we will have fewer channels but potential participants will be more.
Different slack is an extra step and keeping up with multiple workspaces can be taxing as well.
Separate Slack would add distance and possible out of sight effect.

No matter how much we say that we don't need history, sooner or later we always end up needing history :)
Thank you,
-N

Zbynek Roubalik

Oct 12, 2022, 7:26:56 AM10/12/22
to Knative Developers

+1 from me for using CNCF slack

On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 11:30:44 PM UTC+2 david...@gmail.com wrote:
My take is similar to Chris's comment -

In the context of helping bring more people to Knative, being on the same slack as Kubernetes is valuable.

Just a nit to clarify, Kubernetes has it's own slack it is not present on the CNCF one.

Gabriel Freites

Oct 12, 2022, 11:05:51 AM10/12/22
to Zbynek Roubalik, Knative Developers
+1 for moving to the CNCF slack!
Oct 13, 2022, 10:23:37 AM10/13/22
to Knative Developers
How many channels can we have in the CNCF slack?
Lionel

Carlos Santana

Oct 13, 2022, 11:23:51 AM10/13/22
to Knative Developers
David

Just to clarify we are not moving to the Kubernetes Slack workspace, we are moving into the CNCF Slack workspace.

We already have a channel in the Kubernetes Slack #knative, but not a lot activity there from end users. I monitor that channel.

-- Carlos

Carlos Santana

Oct 13, 2022, 11:25:01 AM10/13/22
to Knative Developers
Lionel

We can have multiple channels, but I was thinking no more than 5 channels for "knative-*"

Our current slack channels, we have too many and most are literally silent.

vil...@us.ibm.com

Oct 13, 2022, 11:38:33 AM10/13/22
to Knative Developers
We currently have 10 active working groups, each with their own slack channel. Then we have other channels, including one for the TOC and one for the SC.

Eventing + Eventing Kafka can be merged together. Same for networking + serving. Maybe client+doc+dux+operations+productivity+security. With Function, that's about 4 channels + TOC/SC/Conformance. Is that what you were thinking?

Lionel

Mahamed Ali

Oct 13, 2022, 11:40:30 AM10/13/22
to Knative Developers
+1 to moving to CNCF if we can get many knative-* channels created

Mahamed

DL duglin

Oct 28, 2022, 8:25:06 AM10/28/22
to vil...@us.ibm.com, Knative Developers

One other thought... being part of the CNCF Slack workspace might make it easier for other CNCF projects to collaborate with (or even find) Knative. For example, collaborating with CloudEvents folks would be a bit more seamless if it was just a matter of finding the appropriate channel instead of having to register and add (yet another) Slack workspace to their Slack client.

-Doug

From: knati...@googlegroups.com <knati...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of vil...@us.ibm.com <vil...@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 11:38 AM
To: Knative Developers <knati...@googlegroups.com>

Image removed by sender.

Matthias Wessendorf

Oct 29, 2022, 1:44:10 AM10/29/22
to DL duglin, Knative Developers, vil...@us.ibm.com
Good point on the collaboration with other groups like CloudEvents:

This would def. be a huge plus!

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile