How Knanaya community has betrayed its youth?

Vinod Kuriakose

Mar 19, 2014, 7:53:11 AM3/19/14
to knanayafamily

Dear Knananite ,

Considering the talents, ability and creativity of young Knananites , isn't it an embarrassment that the community has done absolutely nothing for the development of its young people? So far the community has never taken up any systematic programme to promote youth in the community. Generation after generation our youth is subjected to the weekly one hour Sunday school class as the only developmental activity.

 Let us ask the following questions to ourselves?

1)   As a community have we ever tried to encourage or promote education among our youth?

2)   As a community have we ever tried to guide or encouraged our youth in selecting a career?

3)   As a community have we ever tried to provide jobs to our youth?

4)   As a community have we ever nurtured and promoted creativity and talents of our young people?

As a guardian community we are miserably failing in our duty in providing the needed support to our youth. The future of our community is seriously threatened by this phenomenon. Therefore, there is the need for this discussion and action to redress the situation. Though some churches are trying to meet such needs in organizing family and youth programs/seminars their efforts are not enough. All churches and associations must pay the needed attention to supporting our youth.

Children are our heritage and it is the responsibility of us the elders to bring them up. Knanaya community should be the gardener who nurturers each plant/youth in the community to come to flower. Knanaya community should start using 25% of its resources for implementing programmes that will prepare the youth for lifelong learning, meaningful work, and citizenship in the world. Our youth should be equipped to investigate the world, recognize perspectives, communicate ideas, and take action.

Our leaders should understand that it takes the whole community to bring up a child and without wasting further time should select an expert committee/team to implement the following programmes:

1)   Guide the youth to follow their heart.

2)   Mentoring to provide extra support as the youth deal with the changes and developments in their life.

3)   Counseling to young people who are disadvantaged or at risk.  The team if required should offer extra support to enhance that process through mentoring.

4)   Target young people between the ages of 12 and 30 who are having troubles at school, college or at job, or are just lacking positive support.

5)   Help youth to make healthy choices both in carrier as well in life.

6)   Seminars for parents, teachers and leaders- enroll experts from different background like business leaders, educators, entrepreneurs, policy makers, journalists and young people themselves to help identify a range of innovative, scalable solutions to the challenge of youth.

7)   Offer solutions: Our youth while they move through various stages of learning and growth, face challenges in identifying interests, selecting carrier, selecting and securing employment e.t.c.  The committee should show interest to explore these issues and identify solutions for young people who move into courses/jobs to secure his/her future.

8)   Carrier guide our youth. The team should ponder into how realistic the available courses are and how it would lead to real employment. They should collect information and compare between Universities, Colleges and education systems in India and abroad.

The community and its leaders have a duty to engage and equip Kna youth to empower themselves. Each one of us is responsible for engaging and equipping today’s Kna youth so that they can provide for their family and community. For the Lord says “Train up a child in the way he should go”.

Hence let us keep apart petty issues and differences and concentrate on most important and relevant issues because only the youth can lead and strengthen the community.

Thanks & Regards,

--
Vinod Kuriakose
http://vinodk.page.tl

kurian kurian

Mar 25, 2014, 5:28:12 AM3/25/14
to knanay...@googlegroups.com
Excellent thoughts. We need to start concentrating on the youth for the future. I received an email from this group some time back that MES trust had allotted education support to number of boys and girls in the samudayam. We need more and more T O Philips (He is my friend and I am proud of what he is doing) and ideas to help and support our young boys and girls. Our youth should make our samudayam famous.

Regards,
Kurian

Visit "Knanaya Family" group @ http://vinodk.page.tl or http://knanaya.page.tl/

---