Knanaya nurses have brought economic change in our community. We should stand-up for our sisters/nurses when they are in distress.

Vinod Kuriakose

Mar 14, 2014, 7:41:53 AM3/14/14
to knanayafamily

Dear Knananites,

I was recently in a train which was about to leave Chennai (Central station). As the train moved out of the station, four girls jumped into the train. They ended up sitting in berths right adjacent to me in the compartment. All the four collapsed and went to sleep even before the train gained speed.

I had a good view of all the four since all of them were sitting in the berth right in front of me. I was little worried about their appearance. All the four looked paralyzed by fatigue. I noticed that they did not have the energy to even sit properly and sleep. My interest in them increased because these days life convicts who come out of jail after 14 years look strong, healthy and handsome. I easily concluded that tiredness in these young girls in their prime is not due to normal exertion.

After 2 hours one of them woke up to drink water and I happened to strike up a conversation with her while sharing my water bottle. I ended up speaking to the group about their work and they testified to a shocking regime of hard working conditions, heavy workloads and poverty pay in the hands of their employer. These are nurses who are treated badly by their supervisors, administrators, patients, and patient’s families’ e.t.c. Two of the nurses belong to our community. They never had had time during the last 4 years to visit our Knanaya church at Pallavaram.

I could conclude that the increasing pressure is taking its toll on their health. All of them are paid extremely low salaries (Rs 3000 – Rs 4000). Three of them come from poor background, had to pay lakhs of rupees to get a nursing degree and hence have to take huge loans. The salary they get will not be enough for the loan repayment. The employer wants more and more from them.

Traditionally nurses are female. And females are by nature submissive. I felt that the four nurses don’t even realize they are being ill-treated and disrespected. Kananaya community should start taking steps to make a difference in the life of our nurses (sisters). We should acknowledge that these innocent, hardworking and devoted sisters have contributed a lot to the community. These sisters have helped the church cross international borders for our future generations. They are a group that's making financial change in our community. They have brought name and fame far and vide for the community.

I request all our leaders to get involved and stand up for our sisters (nurses) . This may sound ambitious but please do not forget that nurses form the backbone of our community. They are making a big financial difference in majority of Knanaya families as well as play a key role in the development of Knanaya samudayam. There are instances when communities have fought tooth and nail when property of their members where threatened. In our case it is the health and well being of our sisters that are under threat. It is much more grave and critical. It is not fair on our part to close our eyes when the basic rights of our sisters are violated. It is not fair on our part to allow them to engage in a lonely struggle in life. It is not at all fair to turn to them only after they have made success and money in life.

I want our church to make them feel that the community is willing to be there for them. If the basic rights of our sisters are violated then they need support and positive energy, and they can't get it from nowhere else, they can get it from our community. I feel like that's one reason why we need a (Knanaya) community--to extend support, love and positive energy to our members who are in distress.

Yes , We need to stand up for our sisters.

--

Vinod Kuriakose, Kavumkal ,Ranny
http://vinodk.page.tl

jennyj...@yahoo.co.in

Mar 14, 2014, 9:32:07 AM3/14/14
to knanayafamily
True dear, and now a days really very difficult for tehm

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:22:33 PM3/14/14
to knanay...@googlegroups.com
This is a really a heart breaking situation. Unfortunately, many nurses (as also some others in similar health fields) do graduate from unaccredited/substandard  one room institutions with NO CLINICAL TRAINING.  To make up their deficiencies, they seek & get unpaid or low paying apprenticeships/jobs in well respected hospitals elsewhere. Of course this is only one part of the problem.
Poor pay & unacceptable working conditions have long existed all over India and this resulted in the famous strikes etc. in New Delhi etc.  The wages of even manual workers, minor technical workers or even Govt office Peons, (sorry the title has been sweetened recently) are double or triple compared to what these nurses earn.
This topic/situation calls for immediate & serious action by the community. Interestingly, the community seems to spent its energy& resources in rivalries by factions, building expensive churches, profit making schools/colleges and very little to address the real religious& social needs.  We need SOCIAL ACTION.  Who will bell the cat?

Visit "Knanaya Family" group @ http://vinodk.page.tl or http://knanaya.page.tl/

---

Re-discoverKerala for Non-resident Indians

Mar 15, 2014, 5:55:17 PM3/15/14
to knanay...@googlegroups.com
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ.,

There are other disasters too...

Many of the Nurses whom by God's grace or somebody else's mercy

reach heights in the blink of an eye, forget their past lives.

Many of them first buy gold anklets and don't even bother to care for "human beings" around.

The other tendency prevalent is that many of our dear sisters and their relatives readily agree to pay lakhs
to get placed in countries like Oman, Kuwait etc., neglecting the repeated requests and announcements

of the Ministry of Health authorities to not promote and to avoid unauthorized agents/middlemen. Many of them don’t even take the trouble to get first hand information from the concerned authorities.

All our people want to have ‘better and better lives’ a day before the other. They don't care to choose any other means

for attaining their "goals".

This is in short, our “new generation” Kerala culture - to have "better sound life" by any means
and forgetting the entire past, neglecting and not remembering the poor Staff Nurses who are really

suffering and are exploited back home, like the one's mentioned above by Mr.Vinod Kuriakose.
(In fact, many of them are academically much brighter and smarter than the ones

who manage to get into the Gulf and other countries now a days. Many of them unfortunately, even lacking

the bear necessary qualities and academic skills that they are meant to embody)

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

--

Xavier Jacob Kavalam
Mg.Editor, Printer and Publisher

Re-discover Kerala
(The magazine for Contemporary propositions)
rediscov...@gmail.com

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

kurian kurian

Mar 17, 2014, 2:55:30 AM3/17/14
to knanay...@googlegroups.com

My dear Members,

This is a serious issue. Please see news, even a senior nurse is tortured at work.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/delhi/aiims-nurse-commits-suicide-in-delhi_918385.html

 A nurse at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here committed suicide by hanging herself from the window grill of the kitchen in her residence, police said Sunday.

The body of 42-year-old Mouly Sibichan, who was from Kerala, was spotted by her husband at their house in south Delhi's Sunlight Colony Sunday morning.

Police said a suicide note was found in which she stated that she was depressed due to some reasons.

Her family told police that she was not happy as she had been transferred from ICU (intensive care unit) to general ward in the hospital.

THANKING YOU,

KURIAN

kurian kurian

Mar 19, 2014, 2:07:18 AM3/19/14
to knanay...@googlegroups.com
Dear Brethren,

It is time our church and elders show solidarity to our sisters. It is very difficult for our nurses to approach court alone for protecting their rights We should always remember that they are innocent girls and they cannot interact with lawyers. Many of them are poor and cannot afford the huge expenses. I feel that if required the church should spend some money for them because nurses across the globe are contributing in abundance for the well being of our community. It is a sin to close our eyes to their need. Please read the below news where some of our nurses have even moved the supreme court against harassment.

Harassed nurses knock on Supreme Court's doors;

The petition, filed by president Mary Teenu Sebastian and secretary Preeti, said the association was formed to safeguard the interests and rights of the staff nurses in different States. The third petitioner, Brajitha Varghese, working in a private hospital, said she was a victim of the bond system: she had signed a bond for Rs. 50,000.

The immediate cause for the petition, they said, was the suicide by Beena Babi, 22, working at the Asian Heart Hospital in the Bandra-Kurla Complex, Mumbai, after she was allegedly harassed by the hospital authorities.

Please click @ the below link to read full news.

Thank you,

Kurian