Embedding KML in maps and privacy

jedediah walls

Jul 15, 2011, 11:06:30 AM7/15/11
to KML Developer Support - Third Party Applications
Is it possible to put a .kml file up on the web, and then control
access to that .kml file? We want to embed a map that draws from
a .kml file on a website, but we don't want people to come in and
download the .kml file without our permission. Is this possible?

ixboat

Jul 15, 2011, 10:21:12 PM7/15/11
to KML Developer Support - Third Party Applications
Jed,
this page does what you describe, i think.
http://steamboat3d.com/index.php/gore-canyon-panoramas

It's a GE plugin that is displaying a .KML with panorama images and
terrain overlay images.
If you can download the .KML, it's only because I haven't tried to
prevent that.

Also, this page
http://steamboat3d.com/index.php/wildland-modis

it displays .KML data from a federal server, but it could be from
anywhere, including somewhere that only allowed access from this page.

This is a Joomla CMS site, with GE plugin components.

Hope that's helpful!

Regards,
ixboat - Kent

GTrek

Jul 17, 2011, 7:05:42 AM7/17/11
to KML Developer Support - Third Party Applications
Jed,

You could make the folder in which the kml file resides password
protected then only people in the know can get in. As for the above I
was able to obtain copies of the KML by looking in the Temp.Int.Files
folder.

Another way that just ocurred to me would to embed the GE API in a
windows app which downloads a password protected KMZ file that the app
can open. It then extracts the KML and loads it into the app. How does
that sound ?.

Regards

John
www.gtrek.co.uk

On Jul 16, 3:21 am, ixboat wrote:
> Jed,
> this page does what you describe, i think.http://steamboat3d.com/index.php/gore-canyon-panoramas
>
> It's a GE plugin that is displaying a .KML with panorama images and
> terrain overlay images.
> If you can download the .KML, it's only because I haven't tried to
> prevent that.
>
> Also, this pagehttp://steamboat3d.com/index.php/wildland-modis

Bittencourt

Jul 22, 2011, 4:36:22 PM7/22/11
to kml-support-third-...@googlegroups.com
Of course you can always open the javascript console (ctrl+shift+i) and type something like "ge.getElementsByType('KmlDocument').item(1).getKml()"

--Pedro Bittencourt