Spreadsheet (xls and ods) data to kml. Full UTF support, grids, statistical bars, timeline, etc.

kirst

Jul 22, 2008, 12:05:23 AM7/22/08
to KML Developer Support - Third Party Applications
Hi Again Tek

Well the good news is that this works for most of my data.
The bad news is that one of my sheets is large (58000 rows). The kml
is 154975 kb and when I try to view it in Google Earth I get an error
message;

Opening of File "XXXXX" failed. Parse error at line 1 column 0
Out of memory

Is there any way around this?

Cheers
Kirst

Roman N

Aug 1, 2008, 6:54:13 PM8/1/08
to KML Developer Support - Third Party Applications
Hi,

I'm not sure about your exact application needs, but you may want to
structure your data in regions and use Network Links to break up the
file into smaller ones. I don't know how well this would apply to your
exact situation with spreadsheet data, but it's worth consideration.
For more details, read the "Region Based Network Links" section of
Google's KML developer guide at http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/regions.html#regionbasednl

- Roman

tekgergedan

Aug 9, 2008, 12:51:56 PM8/9/08
to KML Developer Support - Third Party Applications
Hi Roman N,

Just for cases someone reads this topic... It is related to the
xls2kml spreadsheet tool discussed on
http://groups.google.com/group/kml-support-third-party-applications/browse_thread/thread/86557ce4448c7e40#
and is mistakenly posted as an independent post.

I suspect it can be the encoding if there is no limitation to the
number of placemarks (see the error message "out of memory" which
doesn't help to understand the problem).
If this happens (ie the error message tells "Parse error at line 1
column 0"), one should save the kml in utf-8 encoding in NotePad,
reopen it, delete the very first encoding characters that will appear,
resave it, and see what happens. So, I can figure out the problem that
I have still not been successful to reproduce.

Please, ask help and wishes here:
http://groups.google.com/group/kml-support-third-party-applications/browse_thread/thread/86557ce4448c7e40#

tek