KML "superoverlay" in Google Maps / third party app

rushcore

Mar 15, 2010, 11:48:14 AM3/15/10
to KML Developer Support - Third Party Applications
Greetings,
I am developing my own Google Maps API app and while implementing
support for specifying custom user overlays I encountered an issue
with a particular type of overlay.
They are apperently called "superoverlays" as they provide a
completely different
tileset for a given region, such as ultra high resolution aerial maps
or historic photos.

If you try to load the following KML file in Google Maps, it will only
initially load, zooming won't update the visible tiles.
Of course it works all right in Google Earth, you can view very
detailed photos of Poland.

http://www.virtualexile.com/GEocentric/zumi/
The KML file in question does not fullly validate but fixing the
offending values did not help.

It it a bug of Google Maps or just not supported feature at all?

Here is Google Maps link that should load the KML file -
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=pl&geocode=&q=http:%2F%2Fwww.virtualexile.com%2FGEocentric%2Fzumi%2F&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.184175,79.013672&ie=UTF8&ll=54.062612,19.445801&spn=1.818372,4.938354&t=h&z=8

Please forgive me if I am missing something really obvious but
glancing through documentation it didn't mention anything about such
overlay limitations.

Best Regards,
Damian Kaczmarek

Matt Fox

Mar 20, 2010, 12:14:35 AM3/20/10
to KML Developer Support - Third Party Applications
As far as I know, SuperOverlays are not supported in Google Maps.

Matt