Using Google Imagery in a backgroud of a vector data

Developer 305

Oct 28, 2010, 10:48:20 AM10/28/10
to KML Developer Support - Third Party Applications
Hi,

I am looking for a possibility of using Google Imagery to display in
an application that is based on a mapviewer.

Here is a little background. The application uses mapviewer libraries
to render the vector data. It uses web service to display imagery on
the background that is hosted on a local imagery server.

I would like to do something similar with the Google imagery. I would
like to display Google imagery in the background and overlay vector
data on it.

Does Google have a web service/s that can server its imagery?

I would appreciate any information in this regards.

Thanks,
Dev305

Josh L

Nov 8, 2010, 11:47:33 AM11/8/10
to KML Developer Support - Third Party Applications
Hi there,

The only way to display our satellite/imagery tiles is via on of our
applications (such as Google Earth) or our web API's that support it
(such as Google Maps, and the Earth Plugin). You cannot access these
tiles directly outside of these applications.

If you want to overlay your own vector data on top of the tiles, you
can use one of our products (such as Fusion Tables) or render them in
any program of your choice (perhaps mapviewer, which I am unfamiliar
with) that supports a compatible tile scheme, and then use the Maps
API. Hope this helps,

-Josh