All of Google Earth's icons

PriceCollins

Nov 26, 2005, 2:55:40 AM11/26/05
to KML Discussions
Deep in the Pacific Ocean there is hidden treasure less than 100 miles east of Makin Island in the Republic of Kiribati.

We find the hitherto hidden source of all of Google Earth's installed icons. You can see the four palettes and have individual access to each icon, including those which do not appear on the Add element creation dialogue boxes. Just zoom in until they are clearly separated.

Also, get the "Google server icons" in THIS POSTING
211421-Icons.kmz

BikerRay

Nov 26, 2005, 7:24:38 AM11/26/05
to KML Discussions
This is as good a place as any to ask...
Is there a tutorial or other info on icon usage? I wrote a kml-generating app in which I would like the user to be able to select an icon or maybe point to one they created.
(App in VB, http://web.295.ca/gpz550/OziToGoogleEarth/ FWIW)

Anyway, I'm really confused, the icon pallette I point to is:
"<href>root://icons/palette-3.png</href>" And I understand the X/Y offset.

Yet the png file resides in GoogleEarth/res folder. How does that work? i.e., there is no png in the icons folder in the Applications Data folder.

How do I easily pop up one of the pallettes and let a user choose an icon? (From within my app, not GE.) Are the icons always in the "res" folder?

Also, if a user creates a 32x32 png file, for example, does it have to go in the res folder? My app could be anywhere, so I can't have a fixed path in the kml file pointing to my app's folder in case it is installed other than the usual "Prog Files" directory. Else GE won't find the custom png.

Hope the questions aren't too confusing!
Thanks.

PriceCollins

Nov 26, 2005, 10:07:23 AM11/26/05
to KML Discussions
My posting was for use from within Google Earth. The transforms which Google employs to equate their pseudo location
root://icons/palette-3.png
to the actual physical location on your hard drive are not guaranteed from version to version. Google could change the scheme and physically store them elsewhere in a future release.

Indeed, the other icon png files in the same "res" folder cannot be accessed using that same (changeable) pseudo scheme, so I did not include them. You would have to assume their location and develop your own access mechanism.

Further, if you get copies of any Google icons for use in another application, that might be a violation of some fine print in their user agreements.

It becomes your decision as to whether to make such use of them and what scheme to employ for their selection. Your user-created icons would have to be included by you in a KMZ file.

BikerRay

Nov 27, 2005, 8:36:03 AM11/27/05
to KML Discussions
Thanks for replying.
I'll try to get my head around how to do it.
I don't want to copy the icons, just figure a simple way to select them; at least one palette's worth.
Maybe the simplest way is to pop up an image of the (one) palette, and translate a mouse click to a mod-32 location so I know which one the user wants.

Or I could forget it, and have the user just change the icon from within GE.

Terry_Pinnell

Jul 10, 2006, 6:27:19 AM7/10/06
to KML Discussions
Quote:

My posting was for use from within Google Earth. <snip>

I'm only about 8 months late in reading this old thread but wonder if you could clarify what you mean please? How do you install and access a new PNG template file in GE please?

I'm not a KML programmer, just an end user. But if I have to make a new template (rather than choosing one from a variety that I'd have guessed many others would have made freely available by now), then I could probably do so. Ideally though I'd simply like to be able to load up the default template (the one I see when I choose a placemark icon) and edit that to my liking (in say Paint Shop Pro 8). But I'm darned if I can find that default! Are the default icons instead accessed by GE from individual PNG files in C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth\icons ?

Any practical 'How To' help would be appreciated please.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

PriceCollins

Jul 17, 2006, 8:32:02 AM7/17/06
to KML Discussions
The application constructs the default icon palette as it chooses to do so from several PNG files. It is inappropriate to consider modifying those PNGs, and later application updates would likely remove your alterations, anyway.

dogracer

Jul 18, 2006, 11:25:53 AM7/18/06
to KML Discussions
I want to integrate use of the google earth placemark icons (in palette-n.png) into my blog on the web. I want to use them for:
1) display in google earth when i tell my blog to look like .kml
2) display in a web browser when i tell my blog to look like .html

Is this legal? can I copy the .png file to my webpage and use the icons freely? I'm sure that #1 is ok, but I'm not so sure about #2.

~thanks,
dogracer
www.jumphook.com

PriceCollins

Jul 18, 2006, 1:14:33 PM7/18/06
to KML Discussions
Quote:

1) display in google earth when i tell my blog to look like .kml
2) display in a web browser when i tell my blog to look like .html

(1) We all use the Google icons in KML files which will be used on Google Earth.
(2) We are not lawyers. You should ask Google about using Google icons on your web site.

Godai

Jul 19, 2006, 4:34:42 PM7/19/06
to KML Discussions

Now this is a pretty tedious way to use a default set of icons and it looks like that's changed in 2.1 -- at least, <h> & <w> are now marked as 'deprecated'. That said, how then should I be accessing these default icons? I need a default for points when the user doesnt' specify & I'd like to use one of the built-in ones -- they're quite pretty!

Any help appreciated!

tekgergedan

Jul 20, 2006, 10:02:24 AM7/20/06
to KML Discussions
Sorry you are not replied. I think nobody has an experience on this.

Give some time to investigate. But I think, if we keep the pixel size of each icon and the distance between them as they are in the original palettes, it wont make trouble. The elimination of the tags must have been to avoid the lengthening of the member kmls. Since the optimal size of each icon should be as suggested, again it wont make any trouble if the sizes and distances are kept the same as in the originals.

If you try it before me, please tell us how you get it.

Best...

Godai

Jul 20, 2006, 10:41:50 AM7/20/06
to KML Discussions
At the moment, the only luck I've had is using the old, deprecated <w> & <h> tags. They still work in GE 4 Beta, I'm just leary about using them since they're marked as 'deprecated'.

tekgergedan

Jul 20, 2006, 10:44:35 AM7/20/06
to KML Discussions
I dont have experience but if you are correct, it seems that it is being planned to be excluded but not at the moment.

(BTW; I'll delete our posts in the other thread to keep it clean)

PriceCollins

Sep 29, 2006, 4:31:24 AM9/29/06
to KML Discussions
The initial posting in this thread provided visibility for the icons which are part of the Google Earth application and are installed on the user's disk.

This posting shows the icons which are delivered by the Google Earth server when needed. Many of them duplicate the icons which are in the user's local palette; others are unique. For illustration, they have been located east of the earlier set in the Pacific Ocean.

Because of the method of delivery, these icons and their URLs are subject to change by Google at any time, whereas the earlier set must exhibit stability for user placemarks.

Based on NormB's posting, in version2 the icons are increased from 81 to 92.

Additional discoveries of server icons are welcome. I'm especially looking for the names of the files for the leaning hexagons in the Borders layers.
617148-Google_server_icons_v2.kmz

Terry_Pinnell

Sep 30, 2006, 2:06:16 AM9/30/06
to KML Discussions
I'm not a programmer and my KML knowhow is very limited, so could you amplify a little please? Specifically, what do I do in order to be able to access and use these neat extra icons for my placemarks?

PriceCollins

Sep 30, 2006, 2:58:17 AM9/30/06
to KML Discussions
Terry_Pinnell,

When you create a placemark, you normally just select an icon from the pallette in the upper right hand corner of the New Placemark control window.

Instead, click on "Advanced" and you will see an "Icon File/URL" slot and four numeric "Icon Rectangle" number panels x, y, w, and h. Use the edit function on the sample you want to use and copy those values into the new placemark you are creating.

NormB

Sep 30, 2006, 4:34:20 AM9/30/06
to KML Discussions
Quote:

Terry_Pinnell,

Instead, click on "Advanced" and you will see an "Icon File/URL" slot and four numeric "Icon Rectangle" number panels x, y, w, and h. Use the edit function on the sample you want to use and copy those values into the new placemark you are creating.

What Version are you using where you still see the "Advanced" tab.. I have Version 3 running on another PC and it shows there, but it does not show in the Version 4 I am using on this PC.

To select other installed Icons.

In the Icon selection, select 'Custom' ,, Navigate to your \Google Earth\Cache\Icon folder...

Terry_Pinnell

Oct 1, 2006, 7:06:42 AM10/1/06
to KML Discussions
Thanks PriceCollins.

What do x and y refer to in this context please? Despite playing with various values, I haven't figured it out yet.

BTW, disappointed to find that set of 81 extra icons doesn't include one suitable for a railway station

LuciaM

Oct 1, 2006, 8:06:17 AM10/1/06
to KML Discussions
Terry, if you want to use these icons, just do the following:

Create your placemark.

Open Notepad, or another text editor.

Go to the downloaded placemark for the icon that you want to use. Right-click on it and select 'copy'. Then go to Notepad and paste what you copied from GE into it.

You will see something that looks like:

<Icon>
<href>http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml/pal4/icon47.png</href>
</Icon>

Copy the http adddress of the icon. (Leave out the href tags)

Go to your new placemark's properties dialog box. Click on the icon button, and select 'custom icon'. When the box pops up, paste the icon's address that you copied above into the space provided, then click 'okay'.

That will set the icon you selected as the icon for your new placemark.

Terry_Pinnell

Oct 1, 2006, 8:46:07 AM10/1/06
to KML Discussions
Thanks Lucia.

simon_a

Oct 1, 2006, 9:22:20 AM10/1/06
to KML Discussions
I noticed this a couple of weeks ago.

Why does GE convert a reference to part of a local palette into an external address? I guess it retrieves these images from maps.google.com each time then(?) Or are the local palettes not used at all?

Am I missing something obvious?

Cheers,

Simon.

PriceCollins

Oct 1, 2006, 2:55:07 PM10/1/06
to KML Discussions
LuciaM,

For server icons, the "y" value must be copied as well, if it's non-zero. For the application icons in the top posting of this thread, both the "x" and "y" values must be copied.

Those setting can only be done after setting "h" and "w" parameters, which are usually 32.