elevation charts from Google Earth

pefty

Mar 19, 2008, 2:08:18 PM3/19/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Would it be possible, or has anyone given some thought to, using
Google Earth (or possibly some app/scripting in combination with
Google Earth) to create an elevation chart based on a route? A route
elevation chart is familiar to bikers and looks something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/2xu4ya

Thanks.

barryhunter [KML Guru]

Mar 19, 2008, 2:55:12 PM3/19/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
You can with
http://www.nearby.org.uk/elevation-kml.php
or
http://www.hybridgeotools.com/html/kml_altitude_filler.html

get a altitude filler.

You can then then plot it with something like:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/profile

(or The second link also includes a link to full application. )

pefty

Mar 20, 2008, 9:50:01 AM3/20/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Thanks much, Barry. I'm locked into Mac world at the moment, so the
altitude-filling solution for me (especially for large KMLs) turned
out to be http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation, which I found
through your links.

Very cool.

- pk

On Mar 19, 2:55 pm, barryhunter [KML Guru] wrote:
> You can withhttp://www.nearby.org.uk/elevation-kml.php
> orhttp://www.hybridgeotools.com/html/kml_altitude_filler.html

davisoski

Jul 11, 2012, 5:52:56 PM7/11/12
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

After used this web to create the kml with altitude, I'm trying to show the elevetion profile in a google map into a html page (in this case for mobiles).

Is this possible??

Thanks

barryhunter (KML Guru)

Jul 13, 2012, 12:41:36 PM7/13/12
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Well since this thread was originally active, Google have added
elevation to the Google Maps API

http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/elevation-profiles-with-google-maps-api.html

marcelbx

Jul 27, 2012, 6:21:03 AM7/27/12
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com

plan your route with google earth.
go to Route history copy the route created to "my places"
go to my places select the route for wich you want to see the elevation profile.
Double click on your route.
 Double click on the folder symbol below your starting and end point.
at the bottom of the route instructions
right  click on the route symbol and choose for the elevation profile.

I hope you can follow these instructions

Marcel