How can I put "Details from Google Maps" into my KML file?

Ken Varn

Jun 18, 2015, 9:21:11 PM6/18/15
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com

I had accidentally deleted my custom map from My Maps.  Luckily I had KML backup files, but I soon realized that the KML files that are exported from My Maps do not contain the "Details from Google Maps" section for each placemark.  For whatever reason it is not exported.

I have been working on a utility to use Google APIs to get the place information back for each placemark by modifying the exported KML.  I have been successful at getting the place information using the Google APIs, but I am not sure how I can replicate the "Details from Google Maps" portion that is placed on the pin.  Does anyone know how I can place this data into my KML file so that it can be imported back into My Maps?

barryhunter (KML Guru)

Jun 19, 2015, 6:36:04 AM6/19/15
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
Neither the KML export nor the import support that section.

So in general there is nothing that can be added to KML to allow importing. Such markers can only be created directly, not imported.

But if you post a link to your now deleted map, in the Maps forum
somebody should be able to help you recover the deleted map. (You need to post it, because need to verify its your map)

Ken Varn

Jun 19, 2015, 10:39:07 AM6/19/15
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
I was told on another forum that since I had emptied my trash folder in Google Drive that the maps were lost and could not be recovered.  At the time I deleted my maps, I didn't know Google had moved my maps to Drive and I deleted them thinking they were duplicate copies.

I thought I was in good shape since I regularly backed-them up with KML export.  However, I was very disappointing to find out that the details in the map description were not exported to the KML.

Why isn't all the map data exported to the KML file?

barryhunter (KML Guru)

Jun 19, 2015, 10:46:52 AM6/19/15

On Friday, 19 June 2015 15:39:07 UTC+1, Ken Varn wrote:
I was told on another forum that since I had emptied my trash folder in Google Drive that the maps were lost and could not be recovered.

That is no longer true, the advice is outdated. There is now a recovery process, facilitated in the official Maps forum. Added in the last few months.

Why isn't all the map data exported to the KML file?

I dont know.

Possibly Google havent got round to adding it yet, maybe they are unsure what format to use. Analysis paralysis

But it COULD be a legal issue. The data may be propritety in some cases (not even owned by Google) so they cant allow export.