KML Regions Won't Import to Fusion

Mmina Maclang

Mar 13, 2015, 1:09:29 AM3/13/15
to kml-suppor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to create a map of cities/municipalities in the Philippines that fit a specific criteria. The data for the polygons' geometry, I took from gamd.org (specifically, check for Philippines > Level 2).

My idea was to use Fusion Tables and merge them to make custom intensity maps/boundaries. So I have two tables, one with the list of cities I needed, with the criteria and other attributes I wanted to show. And then I have the .kml file to merge it with. But the KML file that goes down to city-level won't import properly. (My guess is that it's because of the number of polygons, or it exceeds the 1 million limit for the geometry column.)

When I tried to import the KML for provincial level (bigger regions, less polygons --> see Philippines Level 1 in gamd.org) it imported perfectly and the polygons showed up properly.

So I'm thinking of two solutions:
1. Remove the rows of geometry data for cities that I won't include, or
2. Edit the geometry column to separate each polygon per row, as instructed in the documentation.

However, I can't seem to convert my KML to CSV or something that looks "friendlier" to edit. Also, removing cities will mean that if I update the table with the list of cities I want, that city won't appear properly in the map, because the polygon data would be missing. (I'd have to manually input a new row for each polygon I'll add.)

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can tell me how I can fix this.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help!