Screen Overlay - Issues with screen resolution & anchoring

Hillary Adams

Feb 11, 2015, 1:23:05 PM2/11/15
to kml-suppor...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning,
I am looking for some help creating a Screen Overlay. I have created several within the past year, including my company logo, and several legends. The logo and legends have both been placed into one of the corner positions of the screen, with no issues.
So what I am currently working on is putting my company motto at the bottom of the screen; it's one line and ideally would be centered across the bottom of the screen regardless of where I pan to on the globe. I created one with no issues, it looked great on my screen. The only issue is that when I move to different computer stations, the monitor / screen resolution is varied, and it will leave part of the motto off.
My question & the area that I need help with, is there was to create ONE KML file that will appear the same regardless of which computer I access it from? For example, is there a way to make the scale fluctuate with the width of the screen? Or a way to anchor it to the center bottom and have scale fluctuate? Again, this is for using the screen overlay function.
So far the way I've been doing it is building the file using PowerPoint, saving it as a PNG with a transparent background, linking it to a photosharing website, and then editing the Screen Overlay file using notepad.
Any input would be extremely helpful; I am trying to avoid having multiple copies of the same motto just to display a one-liner.
-Hillary

barryhunter (KML Guru)

Feb 11, 2015, 3:15:41 PM2/11/15
to kml-suppor...@googlegroups.com
Well you can use fractional widths...

eg to make it take 40% of the screen width:
<size x="0.4" y="0" xunits="fraction" yunits="fraction"/>
The 0 keeps the aspect ratio.

Probably want to make the image quite high resolution, as users with big screen will get it very big!

I assume you know already how to anchor to the bottom?

  <overlayXY x="0.5" y="0" xunits="fraction" yunits="fraction"/>
  <screenXY x="0.5" y="0" xunits="fraction" yunits="fraction"/>

Hillary Adams

Feb 11, 2015, 5:32:16 PM2/11/15
to kml-suppor...@googlegroups.com
Awesome --- that helped a lot! I ended up making it take up 100 percent of the horizontal axis, and then using 0 to keep the aspect ratio. Thanks so much for the quick response