Break extremely large KML file into smaller ones

Justin Yoder

Feb 21, 2014, 1:26:40 PM2/21/14
to kml-suppor...@googlegroups.com
I have a customer with an kml file that causes google earth to be sluggish and take a long time to load at the begining. I would like to split this kml into smaller ones but am not sure how to do this besides one by one in google earth. I was hoping there would be a way to actually open it with notepad ++ or some editor and cut and create and paste it into another kml file.

barryhunter (KML Guru)

Feb 21, 2014, 2:03:25 PM2/21/14
to kml-suppor...@googlegroups.com
Actully you can just do that.

KML files are just XML files. XML should be reasonably human readable. but will take a bit of practice to work with.

Google Earth Pro, actully includes a 'Regionator' feature to break up a large file into managable chunks.

If you dont have pro, then https://code.google.com/p/regionator/ is the same thing. (Pro just packages it up and makes it easier to use)