Kml/Kmz Collada model problems on Google Earth for Android

Michel Morgan

May 26, 2015, 10:08:33 AM5/26/15
to kml-suppor...@googlegroups.com

I have been having issues with Kml/Kmz files containing collada models to display on Android 5.1 system.

I created two 3D models (Sample1.kmz & Sample2.kmz, attached) and I was able display them on Google Earth for Desktop. They are also fine on a Samsung tablet with Android 3.2.

However, when I load them on Android Phone (Nexus 4, OS 5.1), I get one of the following issues;

Sample1: “Error, Parse at Line 1, Column 0, No element Found”
Sample2: NO errors, but nothing shows

For my further investigation, I tried to download several models from 3dwarehouse.sketchup.com for testing. On the desktop I was able to turn off the 3D buildings from Google inventory, so I could display the models I downloaded. They looked fine on Google Earth for Desktop and Samsung Tablet (with Android 3.2). However, when I took them to my Nexus 4 phone with Android 5.1, the same problems persist.

Sometime last year everything was fine till one Android update (but I don’t recall which version) caused this problem.

I am not sure whether it’s operating system OS 5.1 problem, Google Earth on Android (my version is 8.0.0), or kmz schema issue. Looking for any suggestions or samples that would work on Android 5.1 to follow their schema.

Thanks,

Sample1.kmz
Sample2.kmz