Project infrastructure

Ingo Albrecht

Nov 20, 2020, 8:32:51 AM11/20/20
to klis...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

As you might now I do some more extensive hacking on klish. I would
therefore like to be able to create issues, but libcode.org does not
allow account creation. Ideally this would also be open to users.

Another thing that I think might be useful is a chat:

New-school solution would be something like Gitter which integrates with
GitHub, and they will switch to Matrix in the future.

Old-school chat solution would be Freenode IRC. Works for me but I'm not
keen on it. Would probably use the web interface.

In any case a chat allows on-the-side communication without imposing
much. Should work especially well for a low-traffic project like klish.

Serj: what do you say about this?

Greetings
prom

[Note: it seems that Google Groups does not allow me to link to Gitter,
so you will have to use Google to look them up]

Serj Kalichev

Nov 23, 2020, 12:12:25 PM11/23/20
to klis...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

It's a problem to find suitable infrastructure for project hosting. I
mean a standalone soft. The first place for klish hosting was a
GoogleCode. The additional site I had activelly used was a
freshmeat.net. I liked google-code and freshmeat. But google-code and
freashmeat both are closed now. Large corporative sites have their own
rules and can change policies at any time. I don't like it. My projects
will be hosted on my own server with my rules. So I need an adequate
soft for it. Now I use gogs for git hosting and redmine for download,
some text etc. I agree that it's good when people can freely write
issues but a had a problem with a spam. Additionally people have to
register and create special account for one little site.  I think it
bother. So I'm not sure now what soft is better than current hosting
soft. Do you have any ideas? May be some soft with third-party
authorization for users (to write issues).

Of couse anyone can create a copies of klish on any site he likes.
Github or something else...

Chat... it's too new-schooly for me :) It's a joke but I don't see any
reason for chat for such low-traffic project. The chat will be so
silent. The mailing list is rather silent but chat will be absolutely
silent I think. I never use chats to communicate to other project
authors. I really can't understand the purpose of project's chats. All
answers will be lost and newbies will ask the same questions again and
again. The mailing lists, issue trackers, forums has a history. May be
it's too old-schoolly? :)

Ingo Albrecht

Nov 24, 2020, 4:23:01 AM11/24/20
to klis...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

As you might now I do some more extensive hacking on klish. I would
therefore like to be able to create issues, but libcode.org does not
allow account creation. Ideally this would also be open to users.

Another thing that I think might be useful is a chat:

New-school solution would be something like https://gitter.im/ which

Yagamy Light

Dec 21, 2020, 5:18:36 PM12/21/20
to klish-dev
On Monday, 23 November 2020 at 20:12:25 UTC+3 Сергей Каличев wrote:
[...]

You can self-host a Gitlab, and it allows for 3rd-party authorization (however I don't know much about how it works. I only know it's possible because freedesktop and Gnome all allow to authorize with github and google account).