Rookery

Jeff Thompson

May 18, 2021, 4:06:11 PM5/18/21
to Klamath Basin Bird News
I stopped at Willow this morning to check on the egrets and herons. They are totally gone! Does anyone know what happened?

Sent from my iPhone

rrip...@charter.net

May 18, 2021, 8:03:57 PM5/18/21
to Jeff Thompson, Klamath Basin Bird News
Hi,
Are you referring to the rookery at the old growth stand of willows at the Lower Klamath, CA side?

If so, even though I haven't been there myself, I would venture a good guess that the rookery failed due to lack of food. Nesting requires "easy" accessible food sources, and with the lack of wetlands, which the egrets and herons are adapted to, they likely abandoned the area and went where they don't have to fly more than 10 miles one way to get food easily, or may not nest at all this year

There are rookeries in the Upper Klamath area, but none that are easily seen or observable like the one you mentioned along the tour route. Hopefully the Lower Klamath can return to its former self as an impressive wetlands area in the near future, like next year.

Kevin Spencer
Klamath Falls

Sent from my Verizon LG Smartphone
I stopped at Willow this morning to check on the egrets and herons. They are totally gone! Does anyone know what happened?

Sent from my iPhone

For more information, including posting guidelines, visit the Group's web page at:
https://sites.google.com/site/klamathbasinbirdnews/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Klamath Basin Bird News" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/klamathbasinbirdnews/22F110E1-AB92-4400-BD41-6C5AC328325F%40gmail.com.

Mary Williams Hyde

May 19, 2021, 10:24:22 AM5/19/21
to Klamath Basin Bird News
I am heartbroken!   The rookery was thriving and growing up until the end which appears to be either Sunday or Monday. Little herons heads were popping up above the lip of the nests before I left for a trip on Wednesday.  So sad!   I have been taking photos of the rookery two to four times a week for months.  You can see photos here if you like: https://buckaroocountry.smugmug.com/Birds-and-Wildlife/Heron-Rookery-LKNWR-2021/n-8G3bjk
MWH_8304w.jpg
MWH_7280w.jpg

Michelle B

May 19, 2021, 5:59:01 PM5/19/21
to Klamath Basin Bird News
Oh no. That is so sad :( Your pics are amazing.