Powerboat on the Link River 6/28/22

Jack Nicklaw

Jun 28, 2022, 6:24:51 PM6/28/22
to klamathbas...@googlegroups.com
"Peripheral" one-year member here. Sorry for asking this type of question...

Are powerboats allowed on the Link River?

On Tuesday, June 28th, about 1:45pm, a powerboat went up the Link River, creating a wake and scattering waterfowl.

Never seen this before (Never thought I would!), and I'm having trouble finding out whether or not it's allowed. (Was on a lunch break and only had a few minutes to browse online.)

Anyone know about the legality of this kind of activity, and/or the best way to report it?

I left a message on the Sheriff Marine Division Supervisor's voicemail. Not necessarily expecting a call back.

Thanks for listening. :)

rrip...@charter.net

Jun 28, 2022, 10:56:50 PM6/28/22
to Jack Nicklaw, klamathbas...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jack,

Yes, I have seen "power" boats go up the Link River from the boat launch area at Lake Ewauna. Probably the best news is that they can only get up to the rapids about 200 yards above the bridge. And, while it is aggravating that a boater would aggressively motor up the river causing a "wake", they really are taking a big chance with the underside of their boat, and including their prop if it is not  a "jet" boat. It gets rather shallow and it is a rocky bottom. Most boaters avoid that section because of that. I  mostly see drift boats up the river, and the ones I have seen with a motor are pretty cautious, going slow. Other drift boats paddle up the side and anchor at certain spots. I have not seen a drift boat cause a bothersome wake. So, hopefully, it's the occasional "rookie" boater, or someone who doesn't care about their boat that would go up the Link River at a fast speed. I see more Lake Ewauna activity now, so it's good that you called. Maybe it will result in some signage.

I'm glad you notified someone. Maybe a homeowner up the river also took notice. But, I am pretty sure that the bottom of the river is the best monitor of boat speed there. It's only a matter of time before damage is done. The river is very turbid and obstacles are not seen soon enough if going too fast.

However, to answer your question if power boats can go up the river, I'd say yes, but not sure. But causing a big wake is usually a big "no-no" for shoreline protection. Wildlife harrassment is an issue with that activity. Your report along with others will definitely result in greater surveilance by the sheriff.

Thanks for keeping an eye out at that great bird location!!

Kevin Spencer
Klamath Falls, OR

For more information, including posting guidelines, visit the Group's web page at:
https://sites.google.com/site/klamathbasinbirdnews/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Klamath Basin Bird News" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/klamathbasinbirdnews/CABXK5BZWiP-n43yxogR99C0-AiBikbaX-TKVwYYv7tELh9g_Vg%40mail.gmail.com.

Jack Nicklaw

Jun 30, 2022, 9:37:24 AM6/30/22
to rrip...@charter.net, klamathbas...@googlegroups.com