KBAS General Meeting Tuesday May 14

rrip...@charter.net

May 8, 2024, 2:00:41 PMMay 8
to klamathbasinbirdnews: googlegroups.com
Please join us and attend the last meeting before "summer" comes. It will be Tuesday, May 14, starting at 7:00 pm. on the bottom floor of Favell Museum. Please come early for some social time starting at 6:30 pm! I'd love to talk to you all and find out what's going on!

A short meeting will start at 7:00 pm. After the meeting there will be a presentation by Elva Manquera DeShields, of the Klamath Bird Observatory.

Elva Manquera DeShields works for Klamath Bird Observatory as their Science Communications, Outreach, and Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice Manager. She is an Oregonian born and raised in Riddle. With a love and passion for nature, Elva attended Oregon State University and received her bachelor's in Zoology. After a couple of years of exploring career opportunities, Elva went to Southern Oregon University to study Environmental Education. During her Master’s program, Elva first got involved with the Klamath Bird Observatory through an internship. A couple years after graduating from SOU she returned to KBO as a full-time employee and has been with the organization for over 2 years. As a part of her position, Elva gets to explore the complexities of bridging environmental justice, inclusion, and conservation.

For her presentation, Elva will be presenting her work thus far with KBO. She is excited to share details about her Bird Conmigo project and other DEIJ initiatives.
There will be other Klamath Bird Observatory staff members who can also provide insight on other projects that involve the Klamath Basin.

Klamath Basin Observatory has been involved with bird conservation and monitoring since the early 1990s. I was fortunate to be on-sight in those early years when banding stations were started around the Upper Klamath Lake, with Klamath Basin biologists such as Akimi King and the late Patty Buettner.  Klamath Bird Observatory has been an important link for knowing the status of birds in the Klamath Basin, and is remaining current with technology advances that improve our understanding and knowledge of the needs of birds. I'm excited that Klamath Basin Audubon Society has this opportunity to keep up to date with what is going on, and how we in the conservation community can reach out to everyone.

Kevin Spencer
KBAS President

Zoom attendance:
Kevin Spencer is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Kevin Spencer's Zoom Meeting
Time: May 14, 2024 06:45 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 897 8177 2759
Passcode: 213194