KIWI OEM and version

Roger Oberholtzer

Jun 30, 2022, 5:34:32 AM6/30/22
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
The KIWI config.xml contains a <preferences> <version> tag. This is of
course used in the name of the generated files (e.g., the name of an
ISO image).

Is this information to be found anywhere in a system that was
installed from an OEM image made in KIWI?

I'm trying to see if there is a way to track from where the system was
installed.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Marcus Schäfer

Jul 1, 2022, 11:26:17 AM7/1/22
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roger,

> The KIWI config.xml contains a <preferences> <version> tag. This is of
> course used in the name of the generated files (e.g., the name of an
> ISO image).
>
> Is this information to be found anywhere in a system that was
> installed from an OEM image made in KIWI?

Hmm, by default (if not taken into account when the OEM install image
was produced) I think this information is not present inside of the
installed image blob.

At the time the install happened there might be information available
at /run/initramfs/log/... but it depends on the cmdline parameters

> I'm trying to see if there is a way to track from where the system was
> installed.

This can be tricky. The OEM installer just dumps the binary blob
on the selected target. However, if the initrd of the system was not
replaced by a host-only initrd you have a chance by reading the
profile file from within the initrd:

lsinitrd /boot/initrd | grep profile

If this file is still present in the initrd you can extract it

In the profile env we set:

kiwi_iversion='1.15.3'

and that is the version of the image and the same version was used
for the installer ISO

But again that only works if the initrd was not replaced on the
installed system by a host-only initrd. Usually if there is an
update of e.g the kernel package some post-script calls dracut
and that overrides the initial initrd used in the kiwi image
by a host-only variant which is optimized for the target machine
and does no longer contain any traces of the kiwi part

Let me know how you solved it

Thanks

Regards,
Marcus