15.2 oem issues

Roger Oberholtzer

Jan 27, 2021, 6:23:33 AM1/27/21
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I just created a new 15.2 OEM image. It is generally working fine. But I have come across a few issues. I do not know if they are something from kiwi, or if I am missing something in my config. These did not happen on 15.2 builds made this past summer, using the same config.xml file.

All these happen in the installed OEM system, after a reboot.

1. When creating a new user, I get this:

Group 'mail' not found. Creating the user mailbox file with 0600 mode.

It's not a problem as we don't actually use mail on these computers. But just curious if I now need to add some package that was previously being added automatically (not explicitly requested by me).

2. Is the user 'bin' gone? I have it on Tumbleweed. But there is no entry in /etc/passwd. It's not a problem. Just curious.

3. When running rpm/zypper in the installed system. I get this:

warning: Found NDB Packages.db database while attempting bdb backend: using ndb backend.

If I run rpmdb --rebuilddb, all is fine again.

I am asking these questions here first so I can see if it is a kiwi (or my use of kiwi) issue.

I am building a 15.2 target on a Tumbleweed hose using the box build. The build host was last updated mid December. So it is rather recent.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Marcus Schäfer

Jan 27, 2021, 6:40:01 AM1/27/21
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> 1. When creating a new user, I get this:
> Group 'mail' not found. Creating the user mailbox file with 0600 mode.

I think this is related to the re-org of groups. If you look on a system
that has it you will find:

/usr/lib/sysusers.d/system-user-mail.conf

and that belongs to the package:

<package name="system-user-mail"/>

The package setup has changed such that packages which you got pulled
in by some dependency are now required to be set explicitly. Don't
ask me for the motivations but it's just something we have to deal
with. kiwi in this regard is also only a user of the distro :)

> 2. Is the user 'bin' gone? I have it on Tumbleweed. But there is no
> entry in /etc/passwd. It's not a problem. Just curious.

Same here

/usr/lib/sysusers.d/system-user-bin.conf

in package speak

<package name="system-user-bin"/>

> 3. When running rpm/zypper in the installed system. I get this:
> warning: Found NDB Packages.db database while attempting bdb backend:
> using ndb backend.
> If I run rpmdb --rebuilddb, all is fine again.
> I am asking these questions here first so I can see if it is a kiwi (or
> my use of kiwi) issue.
> I am building a 15.2 target on a Tumbleweed hose using the box build.
> The build host was last updated mid December. So it is rather recent.

I know TW has change the rpm database backend. Leap 15.2 still uses bdb
and TW uses "NDB Packages.db". The suse box (I assume you used this one)
was updated to build as a TW box. I think this is causing the inconsistency
you saw. Could you do me a favor and try to build your image with:

kiwi system boxbuild ... --box universal

and check if the same database issue is present. If yes we need to create
a Leap 15.2 box to allow building with a bdb host to avoid the inconsistency.

If the universal box does not work for you please open an issue
here:

https://github.com/OSInside/kiwi-boxed-plugin

and request a new box. We will setup this then for you

Thanks

Regards,
Marcus
--
Public Key available via: https://keybase.io/marcus_schaefer/key.asc
keybase search marcus_schaefer

Marcus Schäfer

Jan 28, 2021, 3:09:05 AM1/28/21
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roger,

> I know TW has change the rpm database backend. Leap 15.2 still uses bdb
> and TW uses "NDB Packages.db". The suse box (I assume you used this one)
> was updated to build as a TW box. I think this is causing the inconsistency

FYI:

https://github.com/OSInside/kiwi-boxed-plugin/pull/21

This is on review now and should help to avoid the rpm database
inconsistency when building for leap/SLES
signature.asc

Roger Oberholtzer

Jan 28, 2021, 3:20:21 AM1/28/21
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 9:09 AM Marcus Schäfer <m...@suse.de> wrote:
Hi Roger,

> I know TW has change the rpm database backend. Leap 15.2 still uses bdb
> and TW uses "NDB Packages.db". The suse box (I assume you used this one)
> was updated to build as a TW box. I think this is causing the inconsistency

FYI:

    https://github.com/OSInside/kiwi-boxed-plugin/pull/21

This is on review now and should help to avoid the rpm database
inconsistency when building for leap/SLES

So this means that a new box images will now be used when I do a new build? Or do I need to wait?

Oh, btw, thanks!

Regards,
Marcus
--
 Public Key available via: https://keybase.io/marcus_schaefer/key.asc
 keybase search marcus_schaefer
 Marcus Schäfer (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
 Tel: 0911-740 53 0             Maxfeldstrasse 5
 FAX: 0911-740 53 479           D-90409 Nürnberg
 HRB: 21284 (AG Nürnberg)       Germany
 GF:  Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton
 http://www.suse.de

Roger Oberholtzer

Marcus Schäfer

Jan 28, 2021, 5:28:36 AM1/28/21
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> [2]https://github.com/OSInside/kiwi-boxed-plugin/pull/21
> This is on review now and should help to avoid the rpm database
> inconsistency when building for leap/SLES
>
> So this means that a new box images will now be used when I do a new
> build? Or do I need to wait?
> Oh, btw, thanks!

You need to wait until this is merged. Once it's merged and you
update the kiwi_boxed_plugin from pip or package you will be able
to select a box named "leap".

So you currently call boxbuild with "--box suse". That leads to the
latest = TW box to build your image. In your case you would change
that to "--box leap" and it will lead to a leap-15.2 box to build
your image and that will fix the database issue you are having

Makes sense ?
signature.asc

Roger Oberholtzer

Jan 28, 2021, 5:33:14 AM1/28/21
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 11:28 AM Marcus Schäfer <m...@suse.de> wrote:
Hi,

>          [2]https://github.com/OSInside/kiwi-boxed-plugin/pull/21
>      This is on review now and should help to avoid the rpm database
>      inconsistency when building for leap/SLES
>
>    So this means that a new box images will now be used when I do a new
>    build? Or do I need to wait?
>    Oh, btw, thanks!

You need to wait until this is merged. Once it's merged and you
update the kiwi_boxed_plugin from pip or package you will be able
to select a box named "leap".

So you currently call boxbuild with "--box suse". That leads to the
latest = TW box to build your image. In your case you would change
that to "--box leap" and it will lead to a leap-15.2 box to build
your image and that will fix the database issue you are having

Makes sense ?

Yes. If I change to leap before the merge is complete, I would imagine I would get an error?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Marcus Schäfer

Jan 28, 2021, 6:15:11 AM1/28/21
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> Yes. If I change to leap before the merge is complete, I would imagine
> I would get an error?

yes :) but while we are talking it all has settled. So you can e.g do
this:

$ sudo pip install --upgrade kiwi-boxed_plugin

$ kiwi-ng system boxbuild --list-boxes | grep name:

That should list you the new leap box.

I'm currently testing a build with it
signature.asc

Roger Oberholtzer

Feb 1, 2021, 2:50:51 AM2/1/21
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
I can verify that a build with the new leap box has competed. I will know later today if the RPM issue is resolved for us.

Roger Oberholtzer

Marcus Schäfer

Feb 1, 2021, 4:11:17 AM2/1/21
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roger,

> I can verify that a build with the new leap box has competed. I will
> know later today if the RPM issue is resolved for us.

Sounds good
signature.asc

Roger Oberholtzer

Feb 11, 2021, 4:22:25 AM2/11/21
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 10:11 AM Marcus Schäfer <m...@suse.de> wrote:

> > I can verify that a build with the new leap box has competed. I will
> > know later today if the RPM issue is resolved for us.
>
> Sounds good

Sorry it took so long. I had to wait until the testers installed another system.

The Leap box solved the RPM issue. Also, the other issue about missing
users was solved by adding the various rpms.

So, as far as I know, all is happy in KIWI Leap 15.2 OEM image land.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Marcus Schäfer

Feb 11, 2021, 7:12:54 AM2/11/21
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> The Leap box solved the RPM issue. Also, the other issue about missing
> users was solved by adding the various rpms.
>
> So, as far as I know, all is happy in KIWI Leap 15.2 OEM image land.

:-) Thanks for the feedback
signature.asc