Leap 16

Roger Oberholtzer

Jan 16, 2024, 2:39:07 AMJan 16
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Is it planned that one should be able to build images based on Leap 16 using kiwi? I know it's way in the future. But is that the intention?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Marcus Schäfer

Jan 16, 2024, 4:50:57 AMJan 16
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roger,

> Is it planned that one should be able to build images based on Leap 16
> using kiwi? I know it's way in the future. But is that the intention?

If there will be a Leap 16 you will be able to build images for it
with kiwi. To the best of my knowledge SUSE is not changing the way
it builds distributions and all you need for kiwi to build images are
repositories with Linux software packages in it or a somehow pre-built
root tree or a combination of both ;)

I'm not aware of a conversation towards Leap 16 though. I think your
question originates from something you heard ? Out of curiosity, can
you share some details why you asked about Leap 16 ?

Thanks much

Regards,
Marcus
--
Public Key available via: https://keybase.io/marcus_schaefer/key.asc
keybase search marcus_schaefer

Dan Čermák

Jan 16, 2024, 4:54:41 AMJan 16
to Marcus Schäfer, kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Marcus Schäfer <marcus....@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Roger,
>
>> Is it planned that one should be able to build images based on Leap 16
>> using kiwi? I know it's way in the future. But is that the intention?
>
> If there will be a Leap 16 you will be able to build images for it
> with kiwi. To the best of my knowledge SUSE is not changing the way
> it builds distributions and all you need for kiwi to build images are
> repositories with Linux software packages in it or a somehow pre-built
> root tree or a combination of both ;)
>
> I'm not aware of a conversation towards Leap 16 though. I think your
> question originates from something you heard ? Out of curiosity, can
> you share some details why you asked about Leap 16 ?

This is all we "know":
https://news.opensuse.org/2024/01/15/clear-course-is-set-for-os-leap/

Cheers,

Dan

--
Dan Čermák <dce...@suse.com>
Software Engineer Development tools

www.suse.com
Geschäftsführer: Ivo Totev, Andrew McDonald, Werner Knoblich
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)

Marcus Schäfer

Jan 16, 2024, 5:18:01 AMJan 16
to Dan Čermák, kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Oh it was in the news and I missed it, shame on me and thanks Dan
for sharing.

@Roger: as Leap 16 will be based on ALP and we currently use kiwi to
build on and for ALP I would expect that you will not have issues
building a Leap 16 image with kiwi

Cheers,
signature.asc

Roger Oberholtzer