Migration from v7 to v8 (Kiwi-ng)

84 перегляди
Перейти до першого непрочитаного повідомлення

Till Dörges

не прочитано,
21 бер. 2017 р., 07:44:1721.03.17
Кому: kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

while trying to migrate from Kiwi (7.x) to Kiwi-ng (python3-kiwi-8.28.3-2.1.x86_64)
on openSUSE Leap 42.2 (x86_64), I stumbled across a few issues.

o Command "jing" not found in the environment

A 1st build attempt gave me this:

DEBUG: EXEC: Command "jing" not found in the environment
INFO: RelaxNG validation failed. See jing report:

I understand if you don't want Kiwi to pull in too many requirements,
but OTOH having jing installed gives better error messages if I
understand correctly.
If a 'Requires: jing' is too strong, perhaps a 'Recommends: jing'
in the Kiwi SPEC is an acceptable approach?

o Command "mkclicfs" not found in the environment

Same as above, but for this one I'm leaning towards a 'Requires: clicfs'.
After all you can't use a feature offered by Kiwi, if this package
is missing.

o editbootconfig attribute is only available for the following image types: vmx oem

It used to be available for type ISO, too. And I do need a mechanism
to adjust the bootloader config for an ISO.

Is there any other way to achieve this or is this simply a bug?

o clic vs. compressed

The image type ISO can take a flag, which can either be 'clic'
or 'compressed'. I'm wondering what the differences are and what
to choose.

<type image="iso" boot="isoboot/suse-leap42.2" flags="clic" ...>

Thanks and regards -- Till
--
Dipl.-Inform. Till Dörges doe...@pre-sense.de
Tel. +49 - 40 - 244 2407 - 14

Marcus Schäfer

не прочитано,
22 бер. 2017 р., 07:20:5822.03.17
Кому: kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> I understand if you don't want Kiwi to pull in too many requirements,
> but OTOH having jing installed gives better error messages if I
> understand correctly.
> If a 'Requires: jing' is too strong, perhaps a 'Recommends: jing'
> in the Kiwi SPEC is an acceptable approach?

I'm ok with a recommends for jing and will add that to the spec file

> o Command "mkclicfs" not found in the environment
>
> Same as above, but for this one I'm leaning towards a 'Requires: clicfs'.
> After all you can't use a feature offered by Kiwi, if this package
> is missing.

Well if we add a requires for any tool needed compared to the matrix of
possible fs, volume managers, crypto tools, etc etc, we will end up with
requiring basically every storage subsystem linux has. I'd like to avoid
that. We address this problem either with:

a) a runtime check for an early condition check. This is not done
for the clicfs case, so the build fails at the stage when mkclicfs
is actually really used. We could think of adding an early runtime
check for this setup

b) build in a container which provides everything. For that approach
I wrote dice: http://suse.github.io/kiwi/container_builder.html

> o editbootconfig attribute is only available for the following image types: vmx oem
>
> It used to be available for type ISO, too. And I do need a mechanism
> to adjust the bootloader config for an ISO.

Agreed, we need to change this. I opened an issue for that one

https://github.com/SUSE/kiwi/issues/274

> o clic vs. compressed
>
> The image type ISO can take a flag, which can either be 'clic'
> or 'compressed'. I'm wondering what the differences are and what
> to choose.
>
> <type image="iso" boot="isoboot/suse-leap42.2" flags="clic" ...>

Choose flags="overlay" :)

See my last mail on this topic which should clarify things a bit

Regards,
Marcus
--
Public Key available via: https://keybase.io