yum and yum-utls package for kiwi on latest openSUSE 15.4

OM

Aug 9, 2022, 4:48:50 AM8/9/22
to kiwi
Hi guys,

I was trying to use kiwi on a lastest openSUSE 15.4 based machine but it seems that yum and yum-utils packages are no longer built. I also couldn't really find a good alternative on the OBS.

How do we go about building a yum based image using kiwi on openSUSE 15.4? Do we need to cater for the missing packages ourselves from now on?

Many thanks for your comments in advance.

J. Mixer

Aug 10, 2022, 8:43:51 AM8/10/22
to kiwi
Hi,

I’ve been using openSUSE as the OS inside kiwi builds for years. I’ve always thought that openSUSE uses “zypper” as its package manager. It seems to be very zypper-centric.

Regards,

J.

Neal Gompa

Aug 10, 2022, 8:49:36 AM8/10/22
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 9, 2022 at 4:48 AM OM <obaidm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I was trying to use kiwi on a lastest openSUSE 15.4 based machine but it seems that yum and yum-utils packages are no longer built. I also couldn't really find a good alternative on the OBS.
>
> How do we go about building a yum based image using kiwi on openSUSE 15.4? Do we need to cater for the missing packages ourselves from now on?

Please use DNF. It's available in all major distributions, and all
major RPM distributions support using it as the package manager now
(including yes, even openSUSE!).

Fedora and RHEL/CentOS use DNF as their package manager today.

OM

Aug 11, 2022, 5:38:51 AM8/11/22
to kiwi
I see, thanks for the tip.