debuginfo und debugsource not used

Roman Sidler

Feb 23, 2023, 1:53:04 AM2/23/23
to kiwi
Hello
I want also to install some debug RPMs in my image but OBS/kiwi doesn't take it:
      - my-release-image (kiwi-image)
        unresolvable:
            nothing provides  myrpm-debugsource
            nothing provides  myrpm-debuginfo

The configuration in my-release-image.kiwi:
  <packages type='image' >
    ..
    <package name='myrpm-debuginfo'/>
    <package name='myrpm-debugsource'/>
     --
  </packages>

Have I missed a setting?
Thanks for any help.
Roman

Marcus Schäfer

Feb 23, 2023, 3:34:56 AM2/23/23
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roman,

> I want also to install some debug RPMs in my image but OBS/kiwi doesn't
> take it:
> - my-release-image (kiwi-image)
> unresolvable:
> nothing provides myrpm-debugsource
> nothing provides myrpm-debuginfo

You get this information if the configured repositories does not
provide the package you are requesting.

> Have I missed a setting?

Unfortunately you did not share the repository setup with us so
I can only assume a few things. From the error message I guess
you are building with kiwi inside of the open buildservice. I further
guess you manage the repository setup as part of your project
configuration in obs and use the "obsrepositories" setting in the
kiwi XML description to reference the setting in the obs project.

If so please check:

osc meta prj

The listed repositories must contain your debug packages.
You can check on the OBS repo server if those repos provides
the packages in question.

If not go to the package from which a debug package is also
created and make sure the debuginfo publishing is enabled

Overall I think you are struggling more with settings
in obs rather than with a setting in your kiwi configuration.

Let me know if this helps

Regards,
Marcus
--
Public Key available via: https://keybase.io/marcus_schaefer/key.asc
keybase search marcus_schaefer

Roman Sidler

Feb 23, 2023, 3:58:25 AM2/23/23
to kiwi
Hi Marcus
Thank you very much for your fast response.
I use a private OBS server, which builds RPMs and Images. A really great product.

The other RPMs in the same repositories are fetched without any problem, only the debuginfo|debugsource are ignored (derived from many RPMs).
The meta data is that here
<project name="home:nis-rpms:nis-8.0-image">
  <title>NIS images</title>
  <description>Image Generierung gemäss Kiwi Beschreibung:&#13;
https://osinside.github.io/kiwi/overview.html</description>
  <person userid="nis-rpms" role="maintainer"/>
  <repository name="images">
    <path project="home:nis-rpms:nis-8.0" repository="nis-openSUSE_Leap_15_4"/>
    <path project="nis-openSUSE_Leap_15.4" repository="standard"/>
    <path project="Leap_15.4_add:packman" repository="standard"/>
    <path project="Leap_15.4_add:couchdb" repository="standard"/>
    <path project="Leap_15.4_add:compat" repository="standard"/>
    <arch>x86_64</arch>
  </repository>
</project>

By browsing over source code
/usr/lib/build/PBuild/Recipe.pm
/usr/lib/obs/server/BSSched/BuildJob/KiwiProduct.pm
etc.

I see the setting 'nodbgpkgs' and 'nosrcpkgs' but I have no idea how to control that.
BR
Roman

Marcus Schäfer

Feb 23, 2023, 4:29:38 AM2/23/23
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> I see the setting 'nodbgpkgs' and 'nosrcpkgs' but I have no idea how to
> control that.

I found this on the obs side:

https://openbuildservice.org/help/manuals/obs-user-guide/cha.obs.prjconfig.html

---snip
Repotype: TYPE[:OPTIONS]
Defines the repository format for published repositories. Valid values are: none, rpm-md, suse, debian, hdlist2, arch, staticlinks and vagrant. The OPTIONS parameter depends on the repository type, for rpm-md the known options are 'legacy' to create the old rpm-md format, 'deltainfo' or 'prestodelta' to create delta rpm packages, 'rsyncable' to use rsyncable gzip compression, 'sha512' to switch to SHA-512 instead of SHA-256 checksums in rpm-md meta data files. To split the debug packages in an own published repository the option splitdebug:REPOSITORY_SUFFIX can be appended, e.g.

Repotype: rpm-md splitdebug:-debuginfo
COPY
(the repository format may even be omitted to use the default type). This results in a debuginfo package repository being created in parallel to the package repository.
---snap

If you can manage to change your repo setup in a way that the debuginfo
packages lands in its own repo I think it should be no problem for
kiwi to consume them.

Keep us posted on your findings.

Thanks
signature.asc

Roman Sidler

Feb 23, 2023, 6:21:41 AM2/23/23
to kiwi
Hi Marcus
Thanks for this hint.
I added this line into project config of my  custom RPM project:
Repotype: rpm-md splitdebug:-debuginfo

then all debuginfos are published into a new repository
/home:/nis-rpms:/nis-8.0/nis-openSUSE_Leap_15_4-debuginfo/
instead of
/home:/nis-rpms:/nis-8.0/nis-openSUSE_Leap_15_4/

To get a valid path for image projects, I created  the dummy project
nis-openSUSE_Leap_15_4-debuginfo

And so I could reference it from my image project

<project name="home:nis-rpms:nis-8.0-image">
  <title>NIS images</title>
  <description>Image Generierung gemäss Kiwi Beschreibung:&#13;
https://osinside.github.io/kiwi/overview.html</description>
  <person userid="nis-rpms" role="maintainer"/>
  <repository name="images">
    <path project="home:nis-rpms:nis-8.0" repository="nis-openSUSE_Leap_15_4"/>
    <path project="home:nis-rpms:nis-8.0" repository="nis-openSUSE_Leap_15.4-debuginfo"/>

    <path project="nis-openSUSE_Leap_15.4" repository="standard"/>
    <path project="Leap_15.4_add:packman" repository="standard"/>
    <path project="Leap_15.4_add:couchdb" repository="standard"/>
    <path project="Leap_15.4_add:compat" repository="standard"/>
    <arch>x86_64</arch>
  </repository>
</project>

But the problem still exists. I think the debuginfo|debugsource RPMs are actively suppressed by the OBS/kiwi build.
BR
Roman

Marcus Schäfer

Feb 23, 2023, 8:09:15 AM2/23/23
to kiwi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roman,

> then all debuginfos are published into a new repository
> /home:/nis-rpms:/nis-8.0/nis-openSUSE_Leap_15_4-debuginfo/

ok, and they also get published on the repo server ? I mean
the binary rpm's on the obs storage are one part but the repository
is the data obs consumes when building stuff. If you are on the UI
side of your OBS instance there should be a link named:

"Go to download repository"

If you follow that link it points you to the repo server.
Can you see a correctly formatted rpm-md (repodata) repository
that includes the debuginfo RPMs you want to install ?

> But the problem still exists. I think the debuginfo|debugsource RPMs
> are actively suppressed by the OBS/kiwi build.

kiwi uses zypper to install packages. To my knowledge there is
no difference on installing them. If they appear in the repo they
are just "packages".

I think we should first double check that you really have a published
repository containing the "-debuginfo.rpm" packages
signature.asc

Roman Sidler

Feb 27, 2023, 9:07:41 AM2/27/23
to kiwi
Thanks Marcus
This link is broken on my private isntance, I still stay to bring it up ...