Packaging for Linux (Ubuntu)

Steepe Hare

Feb 28, 2021, 12:57:08 AM2/28/21
to Kivy users support
Good day,
How is it possible to package a Kivy application for Linux (actually Ubuntu 18.04)?

Many thanks in advance

Elliot Garbus

Feb 28, 2021, 8:48:57 AM2/28/21
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com

I have not packaged for Linux.  I have used pyinstaller to package for Windows and Mac.

I recently shared how to package on Windows: https://groups.google.com/g/kivy-users/c/zp5L6vudNF8/m/x0X-We11FgAJ

I would expect it is similar…

Mark Leong

Feb 28, 2021, 6:59:44 PM2/28/21
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Definitely.  I use Pyinstaller.

Do go through the documentaetion on how Pyinstaller unpack the package and you may need to zip files that you do not want to be in the /tmp directory together with the application package for distribution.

On linux system, you may need to create a .sh script to run the package (you may not need this on Ubuntu 18.04).  For example if the application is MyApplication, then create a one-line myapplication.sh file with ./MyApplication in it.  Do not forget to make MyApplication and myapplication.sh executable.  Then you should be able to click on myapplication.sh to run MyApplication.

Darpan Verma

Feb 28, 2021, 7:19:49 PM2/28/21
to Kivy users support

Pyinstaller could have been a good way to go. I tried that and working fine till i changed the distro. Even if two distros were based on Ubuntu, it throws ABI incompatibility. I also raised an issue and send that developers are already aware of it. There are workarounds to bypass ABI incompatibility, but does not satisfy me.
Instead use app image provided by https://github.com/maltfield/cross-platform-python-gui to automatically build exe for windows and AppImages for linux. You can also use other packaging systems like flathub .