How to Fix Documentation

John Anderson

Apr 4, 2019, 3:15:14 PM4/4/19
to Kivy users support
I am attempting to correct the documentation for the ActionBar widget by following the directions at https://kivy.org/doc/stable/contribute.html#documentation-contributions. It says to edit the documentation in docs/sources, but I can't find anything in that directory (actually doc/sources) relating to ActionBar. So I edited the docstring in actionbar.py. When I do 'make html', it produces the old documentation without my changes. What am I missing? Where is the source of the documentation for ActionBar?

Thanks,
    -John

Alexander Taylor

Apr 4, 2019, 4:10:21 PM4/4/19
to Kivy users support
It sounds like you've edited the right thing - most of the code-specific documentation is in docstrings spread across the modules. I'm not sure why the build wouldn't be doing anything, if you change the file again and re-run make html does it give any indication that it's recognised this specific file has changed?

John Anderson

Apr 4, 2019, 6:19:04 PM4/4/19
to Kivy users support
After editing the doc/Makefile to change the SPHINXOPTS from -Q to several "-v"'s, I see references to my installed kivy

[
[autodoc] /home/jra/Downloads/kivy_clone/kivy/doc/sources/api-kivy.uix.actionbar.rst:7: input:
.. automodule:: kivy.uix.actionbar
    :members:
    :show-inheritance:

[autodoc] import kivy.uix.actionbar
[autodoc] import kivy.uix.actionbar => <module '
kivy.uix.actionbar' from '/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/kivy/uix/actionbar.py'>

Is there a way to tell sphinx-build to use my kivy clone instead of my installed kivy?