【iOS app released】 iOS app developed based on Kivy

Qiulin Huang

Aug 15, 2018, 6:23:13 AM8/15/18
to Kivy users support
Hi, I do not know if it is appropriate to advertise my iOS app developed based on Kivy here, but I just want to let the Kivy community to know that a new iOS app made with Kivy is available on the App Store now.

It is a reminder app, if you are interested in finding out more about it, the link is here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reminderx/id1424279880?l=zh&ls=1&mt=8

Will Tejeda

Aug 21, 2018, 11:33:12 AM8/21/18
to Kivy users support
How hard was it to compile ?

Qiulin Huang

Aug 21, 2018, 3:01:54 PM8/21/18
to Kivy users support
I don't think it is very hard as long as you follow the instructions on the packaging section on the kivy website.

Gabriel Pettier

Aug 28, 2018, 8:16:12 AM8/28/18
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
I think it's fine, as long as it's not a spammy app or worse (which it
doesn't seem to be, but i'm not an ios user, so can't test). Congrats
for finishing your project :).

skeezix

Aug 28, 2018, 9:24:33 AM8/28/18
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 28 Aug 2018, Gabriel Pettier wrote:

# I think it's fine, as long as it's not a spammy app or worse (which it doesn't
# seem to be, but i'm not an ios user, so can't test). Congrats for finishing
# your project :).

Nice! It will be interesting to see how people respond to the
non-standard UI (with Kivy apps, you're rolling your own UI, not
leveraging the built in frameworks at all, right?)

How is the app load time on todays modern phones? ie: bringing up
the python environment etc?

I just hit buy but my CC info is passed due so I'll sort that out;
have often thought about making some appstore kivy apps but assumed Apple
would freak out (not that long ago python apps weren't permitted) or
people would hate the custom UI or load time would be too lengthy etc, so
.. very curious to see how it goes.

Good luck!

I for one, would love to see updates from you, as to how the
market reacts to your application,

Mind you.. to do lists is a crowded space and hard to get noticed
in :/

jeff

#
# On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 03:23:13AM -0700, Qiulin Huang wrote:
# > Hi, I do not know if it is appropriate to advertise my iOS app developed
# > based on Kivy here, but I just want to let the Kivy community to know that
# > a new iOS app made with Kivy is available on the App Store now.
# >
# > It is a reminder app, if you are interested in finding out more about it,
# > the link is
# > here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reminderx/id1424279880?l=zh&ls=1&mt=8
# >
# > --
# > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
# > "Kivy users support" group.
# > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
# > email to kivy-users+...@googlegroups.com.
# > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kivy-users.
# > To view this discussion on the web visit
# > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kivy-users/2664f307-fbc3-4a21-ae52-98ef0a10d575%40googlegroups.com.
#
# --
# https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kivy-users/20180828121607.rillpqbdnsscccpa%40gryphon.
#

--
If everyone would put barbecue sauce on their food, there would be no war.

Gabriel Pettier

Aug 31, 2018, 2:11:26 PM8/31/18
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 09:24:26AM -0400, skeezix wrote:
>On Tue, 28 Aug 2018, Gabriel Pettier wrote:
>
># I think it's fine, as long as it's not a spammy app or worse (which it doesn't
># seem to be, but i'm not an ios user, so can't test). Congrats for finishing
># your project :).
>
> Nice! It will be interesting to see how people respond to the
>non-standard UI (with Kivy apps, you're rolling your own UI, not
>leveraging the built in frameworks at all, right?)

Yes, this has advantages and disadvantage, mainly it gives you total
freedom on the UI/UX, but you of course look different from other apps
(unless you go at great length to copy the target OS UI) and are less
integrated into the environment.

> How is the app load time on todays modern phones? ie: bringing up
>the python environment etc?

It can vary a lot, mainly depending on the memory speed I think, since
the first start needs to unpack a lot of files to disk, on low end
devices it can slow it down significantly. High end devices have had no
trouble managing it for years, so i expect most modern mid-range devices
to do just fine. Once that's done, starting python is way faster.

> I just hit buy but my CC info is passed due so I'll sort that out;
>have often thought about making some appstore kivy apps but assumed Apple
>would freak out (not that long ago python apps weren't permitted) or
>people would hate the custom UI or load time would be too lengthy etc, so
>.. very curious to see how it goes.

It was a bit fuzzy for some time and more complex, but what apple
doesn't want (last time i checked) is allowing yourself or your users to
execute code that was not in the app you shipped and they checked.
Dynamic languages of course make doing that easier, but they don't make
it mandatory, so kivy apps are fine, pretty sure all the python code is
converted to C during the packaging process though, but i'm not a
kivy-ios expert. Still there are some apps that allow to edit/execute
python code, but not to download from external sources, which makes it
impractical for abusing users, which is the main concern from apple
AFAIK.