How to store/read configuration (txt) files to public folder on Android?

Bernardo Tonasse

May 22, 2020, 12:18:34 AM5/22/20
to Kivy users support
Hi guys,

Let me just start off by saying I'm in love with kivy. It's so powerful and yet so intuitive, and with buildozer I'm now playing around a lot with building stuff for Android. I do have a question to which I couldn't find the answer yet, though:

I just wrote a simple program that uses a small text file to store some simple configuration, and while it works perfectly, I would like for this file to be stored in a public folder. How to accomplish this? Currently the file is probably on a private folder somewhere, and while it's just its job as intended, I'd like to have to give the user the possibility of accessing it easily.

Thank you very much in advance for helping a newbie in need!

Kind regards,

Bernardo

Robert Flatt

May 22, 2020, 3:49:57 PM5/22/20
to Kivy users support
This is an Android issue rather than a Kivy issue.
I wondered about this too, as far as I can tell:

App shared storage was depreciated in Android 9 , and removed in Android 10. The two app private locations are unchanged.
So presumably global shared storage must be used.
Shared storage such as Downloads is accessed via an Android intent (see Android Developer docs)

It seems what you want to do would be a good thing to figure out one day ;)