I just released an Android app written with Kivy

Rene Horn

Jan 20, 2013, 4:55:25 PM1/20/13
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
I just published an app on the Android market (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.diceroller.rollit), and while it is being sold on there, it is also completely open source (https://github.com/supercheetah/diceroller), and I am fine with anyone compiling it on their own, and loading it on their Android device.

It's nothing amazing.  It's just a dice rolling app for writing dice rolling equations.  It runs just fine on Linux and Windows (and I'm sure on Mac too, but I haven't had a chance to test it).

If anyone wants to contribue, feel free.  The code is under the Artistic License 2.0.

Rene

krister viirsaar

Jan 24, 2013, 1:48:05 PM1/24/13
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
wow I suggest making it free. Such a simple app man, why would anyone pay (why would you ask them to?)? Rather gather up downloads and if it does actually get popular put an ad in it.

Creative Mobile is a local company here in Tallinn, and that's how they transformed a $1000 income to millions (no, really).
Their game is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.creativemobile.DragRacing

Pavel Mareš

Feb 8, 2013, 4:23:12 PM2/8/13
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

are there somewhere published the rules, what need to be done, if application done with kivy will be sold in apple/android market?

How does your app looks on tablet? I still do not know exactly, how I should make my app to be able to be played on phone/tablet as well.

Pavel

Gabriel Pettier

Feb 9, 2013, 8:03:18 AM2/9/13
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 01:23:12PM -0800, Pavel Mareš wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are there somewhere published the rules, what need to be done, if
> application done with kivy will be sold in apple/android market?

You can basically do what you want about this, the licence allows you to
make and distribute commercial applications done with kivy, you don't
even need to tell us, or to make clear that kivy was used in building
them (though both are appreciated :)), the lgpl licence is used so if
you do improvements to kivy, your changes have to be made public (pull
requests on github being the prefered way), but that obviously only
concern the changes to kivy itself, your application code is yours and
can be distributed under whatever licence suits you.

> How does your app looks on tablet? I still do not know exactly, how I
> should make my app to be able to be played on phone/tablet as well.

The use of layouts allow for flexibility in the design of the
applications, you can use the new units to make absolute sizes relative
to the screen caracteristics (cm/inches/dp/sp…), so your app is suited
to the various screens available on the market.

To test what your app (should) looks like on various common devices,
there is the "screen" module of kivy, that allows to have the window of
your app to emulate the caracteristics of their screen, for example:

python -m screen:ipad3 main.py

will give you quite a big window, because those screens have an aweful
lot of pixels.

cheers