wrapping kivy UI/dashboard around a website

47 views
Skip to first unread message

KXJ YEG

unread,
Oct 1, 2026, 4:14:58 PM (8 days ago) Oct 1
to Kivy users support
Hi all,

Using Kivy UI, If I want to run tests, pull test results at set intervals from the website below and display the data in  dashboard, are my options:
1. wrap Kivy UI around the website (sweetspot.ossnextnow.com), schedule a robot to manually run tests using the website's input widgets, and the refresh a dashboard on the Kivy UI with output from the website
2. Implement an http html browser/Webview in Kivy python or embed the browser in Kivy UI, then let user manually interact with the UI to operate the widgets on the website (sweetspot.ossnextnow.com)? Refresh a dashboard on the Kivy UI with output scraped from the website
3. Do nothing in Kivy, find another way to integrate the website (sweetspot.ossnextnow.com  ) to Kivy externally. User may have to navigate outside Kivy to interact with the website

User story: 
As a user experiencing video-streaming problems despite good internet speed-test results, I want to test up to six locations in my home using sweetspot.ossnextnow.com and identify the top three streaming locations, so that I can determine where video streaming is most reliable.

As a user of the Kivy application, I want my Sweetspot test results to be automatically retrieved, enriched with additional context, and presented in dashboards (i.e. test up to 6 locations -> grab test results from website -> enrich with additional context -> feed enriched data to the dashboard), so that I can understand the results without manually transferring data between systems.   

As a user of the Kivy application, I want my previous Sweetspot test results to be remembered, so that the application can use them to drive subsequent business rules and recommendations.  

Your valued inputs are really appreciated.

Thank you 

Tebogo Christopher

unread,
Oct 1, 2026, 4:18:52 PM (8 days ago) Oct 1
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
I completed a full kivy project now working and is on gallery app store who needs help for backend and front-end even database I'm here to help

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Kivy users support" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kivy-users+...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kivy-users/7854ef76-0ef1-474f-a6de-5b473a9893b3n%40googlegroups.com.

KXJ YEG

unread,
Oct 1, 2026, 4:40:03 PM (8 days ago) Oct 1
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you're able to help with questions in my email, would be great.

Otherwise, please start a different thread/ email for yourself instead of replying to my thread. Please, my thread gets hijacked otherwise 🙏



KXJ YEG

unread,
Oct 1, 2026, 4:48:22 PM (8 days ago) Oct 1
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Reposting for visibility:

Hi all,

Using Kivy UI, If I want to run tests, pull test results at set intervals from the website below and display the data in  dashboard, are my options:
1. wrap Kivy UI around the website (sweetspot.ossnextnow.com), schedule a robot to manually run tests using the website's input widgets, and the refresh a dashboard on the Kivy UI with output from the website
2. Implement an http html browser/Webview in Kivy python or embed the browser in Kivy UI, then let user manually interact with the UI to operate the widgets on the website (sweetspot.ossnextnow.com)? Refresh a dashboard on the Kivy UI with output scraped from the website
3. Do nothing in Kivy, find another way to integrate the website (sweetspot.ossnextnow.com  ) to Kivy externally. User may have to navigate outside Kivy to interact with the website

User story: 
As a user experiencing video-streaming problems despite good internet speed-test results, I want to test up to six locations in my home using sweetspot.ossnextnow.com and identify the top three streaming locations, so that I can determine where video streaming is most reliable.

As a user of the Kivy application, I want my Sweetspot test results to be automatically retrieved, enriched with additional context, and presented in dashboards (i.e. test up to 6 locations -> grab test results from website -> enrich with additional context -> feed enriched data to the dashboard), so that I can understand the results without manually transferring data between systems.   

As a user of the Kivy application, I want my previous Sweetspot test results to be remembered, so that the application can use them to drive subsequent business rules and recommendations.  

Your valued inputs are really appreciated.

Thank you 

KXJ YEG

unread,
Oct 1, 2026, 5:30:11 PM (8 days ago) Oct 1
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Reposting in plain text for visibility.

Hi all,

Using Kivy UI, If I want to run tests, pull test results at set intervals from the website below and display the data in  dashboard, are my options:
1. wrap Kivy UI around the website (sweetspot.ossnextnow.com), schedule a robot to manually run tests using the website's input widgets, and the refresh a dashboard on the Kivy UI with output from the website
2. Implement an http html browser/Webview in Kivy python or embed the browser in Kivy UI, then let user manually interact with the UI to operate the widgets on the website (sweetspot.ossnextnow.com)? Refresh a dashboard on the Kivy UI with output scraped from the website
3. Do nothing in Kivy, find another way to integrate the website (sweetspot.ossnextnow.com  ) to Kivy externally. User may have to navigate outside Kivy to interact with the website

User story: 
As a user experiencing video-streaming problems despite good internet speed-test results, I want to test up to six locations in my home using sweetspot.ossnextnow.com and identify the top three streaming locations, so that I can determine where video streaming is most reliable.

As a user of the Kivy application, I want my Sweetspot test results to be automatically retrieved, enriched with additional context, and presented in dashboards (i.e. test up to 6 locations -> grab test results from website -> enrich with additional context -> feed enriched data to the dashboard), so that I can understand the results without manually transferring data between systems.   

As a user of the Kivy application, I want my previous Sweetspot test results to be remembered, so that the application can use them to drive subsequent business rules and recommendations.  

Your valued inputs are really appreciated.

Thank you 

elli...@cox.net

unread,
Oct 1, 2026, 10:09:40 PM (7 days ago) Oct 1
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Here are a few ideas, but first is sweetspot.ossnextnow.com your project?  If it is creating an API perhaps be the ideal solution.  If it is a 3rd party site you might want to ask if they have an API.

Assuming the website belongs to a 3rd party you could use Selenium or Playwright.  These packages allow you to control and scrape a web app.   You would use these apps inside of Kivy.  I would put Playwright in a separate process.   This keeps the kivy event loop and the Playwright automation decoupled. 

An alternative would be to use the webbrowser from the standard library to open the browser from kivy, and provide manual directions for what you want to user to do.  You could then scrape the site. 

I hope that helps.

From: kivy-...@googlegroups.com <kivy-...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of KXJ YEG <kxj...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 1, 2026 2:29 PM
To: kivy-...@googlegroups.com <kivy-...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [kivy-users] wrapping kivy UI/dashboard around a website
 

KXJ YEG

unread,
Oct 2, 2026, 6:38:54 PM (7 days ago) Oct 2
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the pointers, they are helpful and practical. 

I wrote the website and I can do the api.
 
The reason why I wanted to wrap the website rather than do api is because my current video streaming + wifi performance tests depend on browser events. The video used for the tests uses browser playback which ties to the browser events. An api would probably require some reimplementation and recalibration of the tests.

Let me check selenium/playwright as they can automate scraping. I used selenium years ago, but in Java.

You are welcome to use the website for your own wifi or video streaming performance tests if you like :) I'll retain it as-is.

Thank you


ElliotG

unread,
Oct 2, 2026, 11:00:47 PM (6 days ago) Oct 2
to Kivy users support
If you decide to go with the API, you might consider using the https://kivy.org/doc/stable/api-kivy.network.urlrequest.html#module-kivy.network.urlrequest
It provides a non-blocking solution that works with the kivy event loop.

Just to be clear on the notion of the API, I would keep things simple and use the API to control the browser, I would not move the entire app into kivy. 
Something like:
Kivy app
   ↓
start_test(network_type, location)  # a call to start the browser test.
   ↓
browser test page starts its existing measurement code
   ↓
browser collects playback/network telemetry
   ↓
results stored
   ↓
Kivy calls get_results(test_id)  # a call to get the data from the browser 

The idea is to leave the measurement in the browser, but have a remote way to start the test and collect the data.

Kivy app
   │
   ├─ POST /api/tests
   │      network=wifi
   │      location=office
   │
   │<─ test_id=abc123
   │
   ├─ webbrowser.open(
   │    "https://sweetspot.../run?test_id=abc123"
   │  )
   │
   │                     Browser
   │                       │
   │                 loads test_id
   │                 runs existing JS
   │                 collects telemetry
   │                       │
   │                 POST /api/tests/abc123/results
   │                       │
   ├─ GET /api/tests/abc123/status
   │<─ running / complete
   │
   └─ GET /api/tests/abc123/results

If for some reason you wanted data to stream to the kivy app you could use a web socket, but that does not seem necessary.


```
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages