Observed property associated with ModalView instance remains after dismiss

evguen...@googlemail.com

Jun 22, 2017, 4:56:58 AM6/22/17
to Kivy users support
Hi everyone,

I posted this question on SO but no joy so far: Kivy property observer objects left behind after ModalView is dismissed

Perhaps naively, I assumed that dismissing an instance of ModalView removes all strong references to it and its children, enabling garbage collector to clean up. This seems to work OK unless a Kivy property is bound to a child of the ModalView instance. In this case, garbage seems to accumulate until program breaks. Should I be explicitly destroying the observers, in which case - how?

evguen...@googlemail.com

Jun 30, 2017, 9:16:54 AM6/30/17
to Kivy users support
Issue now resolved via a workaround (details on SO) but I am inclined to think this is a bug. ModalView's dismiss() method should clean up observers. However cannot check right now if this has been fixed in Kivy 1.10.0 because of problems installing this under Raspbian Jessie 2017-04-10 release.