Kivy + Jetson Nano + CSI Camera IMX-219-160

Patrick Deubel

Dec 16, 2021, 8:35:38 AM12/16/21
to Kivy users support
Hi,

I am trying to get the IMX-219-160 Camera to work with Kivy on the NVIDIA Jetson Nano Board. I created a simple App that has only the camera widget in the layout but unfortunately I only get a white screen. I think this is because the gstreamer pipeline that is used in kivy by default does not work for that specific camera. I tried changing the pipeline directly in the Kivy code but it either resulted in a pipeline parsing error or again the white screen.

The Camera itself works, I found a working Pipeline at https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/IMX219-160_Camera and when running the command the camera opens and I get a Live Feed, but not in Kivy.

Does anyone know how to use the following gstreamer pipeline in kivy, or another way to get the camera working?

nvarguscamerasrc ! 'video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), width=3280, height=2464, format=(string)NV12, framerate=(fraction)20/1' ! nvoverlaysink -e

I am using Kivy 2.0.0 and when starting the test app it says that Gstreamer 1.14.5.0 is used as the camera provider.

Many thanks!

Robert

Dec 16, 2021, 3:13:25 PM12/16/21
to Kivy users support
As you point out Kivy's Gstreamer pipeline is completely different from what you know works in this case.

Two things to try, no idea if either will work.

1) NV12 is not going to work directly with Kivy as its textures are RGBA. If that is all the camera provides and you have modified the code linked above, try adding converting to RGBA

2) try using OpenCV as the camera provider.

Patrick Deubel

Dec 20, 2021, 4:48:36 PM12/20/21
to Kivy users support
Many thanks for the tips, so far it did not work out but it is a good starting point!

Robert

Dec 20, 2021, 7:55:55 PM12/20/21
to Kivy users support
For our future reference, please share what you find. Thanks.