kivyMD demo APK built with latest VirtualBox VM does not work. How to test?

Wim van de Brug

Jul 23, 2018, 3:13:25 AM7/23/18
to Kivy users support
I have setup a new VirtualBox VM for Android Buildozer (Version 2.0, released the 13 May 2017).
In this environment I wanted to build an APK for the KivyMD Kitchensink_demo (https://gitlab.com/kivymd/KivyMD) which runs fine on my Windows development environment and standalone build using PyInstaller.

The command: buildozer android debug
produces an APK in the bin directory.
After copy the APK to the device (Huawei P10) and install the app crashes.
How can I debug what is going wrong here? I tried to use: "buildozer android debug deploy run logcat" but I can not find any debug results or whatsoever. Also I can not find a folder .kivy on my device whcih may contain error logs.

Wim van de Brug

Jul 23, 2018, 5:36:59 AM7/23/18
to Kivy users support
I have been able to connect to the device from my dev system (Windows 10) following the instructions as described in: https://www.howtogeek.com/125769/how-to-install-and-use-abd-the-android-debug-bridge-utility/

Using adb shell I am able to examine the device. But where is the .kivy folder located where log files are stored?

ZenCODE

Jul 23, 2018, 10:29:44 AM7/23/18
to Kivy users support
buildozer android debug deploy deploy run logcat

will display the log on screen
.

buildozer android debug deploy deploy run logcat > log.txt

will write to the log.txt file in your current directory. To get all output.

buildozer android debug deploy deploy run logcat > log.txt 2>&1

But I doubt you will need that.

John Green

Jul 25, 2018, 4:06:41 PM7/25/18
to Kivy users support
there's a couple of issues with md.

if you install it with pip, it seems to install an old version albeit the right version code.

also if you are using kivy 1.10.1 then md is broken. button.disabled is no longer working and will crash your app.

I dunno if these are relevant to you but it is what I've observed.