Raspberry Pi + touchscreen + Kivy text scaling experience

Peyton

Jul 4, 2020, 4:11:04 PM7/4/20
to Kivy users support
I want to know if anyone has experience using kivy on a raspberry pi and a smaller touchscreen. I am using 7"

The question I am trying to answer is why is there a difference when I run my application on my 22" monitor and then scale the window down to the size of my 7" screen versus running it on the 7" screen.

It as if the widgets scale but the text does not scale. The text is so much smaller and harder to read versus when I launch my application from my 22" monitor that is driven by the same raspberry pi and then scale the window down

Kivy not scaling text as expected on 7" touchscreen.

Elliot Garbus

Jul 4, 2020, 4:24:09 PM7/4/20
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com

Peyton

Jul 4, 2020, 4:26:49 PM7/4/20
to Kivy users support
Never knew about that. I am going to try that out and let you know my results.

I appreciate the response!

On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 1:24:09 PM UTC-7, Elliot Garbus wrote:

Are you using sp() to define the font sizes?

https://kivy.org/doc/stable/api-kivy.metrics.html?highlight=kivy%20metrics#

Peyton

Jul 4, 2020, 5:19:31 PM7/4/20
to Kivy users support
Elliot,

Did you encounter this problem before and then implement it this way?

Should I also be setting my spacing such as spacing: dp(5)

Elliot Garbus

Jul 4, 2020, 5:26:19 PM7/4/20
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com

I have encountered a similar problem moving between the PC and the Mac.  The Mac screen has 2x the density of the PC.  In order to have a single code base with a consistent look sp and dp must be used.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kivy-users/1f9adb76-79de-40ac-8638-8513dcfe258bo%40googlegroups.com.