OpenGL Versions and Low Level Access

James Townley

Feb 20, 2015, 12:30:15 PM2/20/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
I am evaluating Kivy for the front end of a software package, I am liking what I am seeing so far. We have some significant 3D intensive needs and I want to take advantage of the features of OpenGL 3.2+. (Mac, Linux, Windows)

I am having a bit of trouble finding specific reference to supported versions, what are they?
Will I be able to pass a large vertex array via a vbo?
Where can I find more information or examples using modern opengl?

Thanks,
James

oly

Feb 21, 2015, 12:58:16 PM2/21/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Kivy is aimed at mobile development so really it supports opengl es 2 the vbo are limited in size but there is nothing stopping you from spanning your data across multiple vbo (mesh objects) this is what i am doing. if you need features specifically from opengl 3 i believe you will be out of luck at least this is my understanding.

also bare in mind kivy wraps opengl so generally you do not access it directly thats not to say you can not there is a basic example of loading in a monkey head in the kivy examples.