Having a Rich Text Editor within Kivy

shiv veling

May 31, 2016, 6:14:04 PM5/31/16
to Kivy users support
The app I'm writing is supposed to allow users to be able to format their content. So as they type in the textbox, they can choose to format it using things like bold, italics, color change, etc. This is essentially a Rich Text Editor (RTE). I am unable to find any resources on having a RTE in Kivy.

I already have a RTE written in PyQt and Tkinter, but I can't figure out how to integrate either into my Kivy app. For Tkinter specifically, I really only need to have Tkinter's text box within my app, since the text box allows users to format their text in real time. Tkinter may be easier than PyQt to integrate, so how can I embed it into Kivy? I've read some posts saying that a wrapper can be written, but I have no idea how to write a wrapper that puts the Tkinter text box in a Kivy widget.

If I'm unable to use the above two RTEs (or any other library), I'm not sure how to make a RTE with Kivy alone. Labels allow markup to be made, but I want users to be able to edit and format their content in real time without having to see the back-end markup. To my understanding, labels cannot be directly edited and textinput boxes cannot show markup. The only other thing I know of within Kivy is ReStructured Text, but again, even though it shows markup, I don't know if it can be edited in real time.

My first question is, how can I embed a Tkinter text box in Kivy? If I could do that, I think I could manually program all the other sub-functions necessary to have a working text editor.

If that isn't possible, then how can I have any sort of Rich Text Editor in Kivy? I thought a framework like Kivy would already allow users to format their text, but I can't seem to find anything.