P4a is not accepting "aab" as an option

Stephen Kirby

Sep 12, 2022, 6:18:44 PM9/12/22
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

First a bit of background…

I do not want to build an entire Android app using Python, but rather, want to package a few Python scripts I have, to be part of a bigger Android app that will be mainly Java, that will call some Python scripts, as well as some C code, and possibly some Fortran code.  As such, I hope p4a can help me package the Python script portion for Android.  Am I barking up the wrong tree since Python will only be a small portion of my Android app?  Anyway, I am now looking at the python-for-android documentation and came upon this:

"Exporting the Android App Bundle (aab) for distributing it on Google Play

Starting from August 2021 for new apps and from November 2021 for updates to existings apps, Google Play Console will require the Android App Bundle instead of the long lived apk.

python-for-android handles by itself the needed work to accomplish the new requirements:

p4a aab –private $HOME/code/myapp –package=org.example.myapp –name=”My App” –version 0.1 –bootstrap=sdl2 –requirements=python3,kivy,numpy –arch=arm64-v8a –arch=armeabi-v7a –release”. (Note: I added numpy to the requirements since the Python scripts I’m using import it.)

When I ran this command - I got an error indicating p4a will not accept “aab” as an option.  I have tried installing p4a 2 ways:
(1) pip3 install python-for-android
And

Neither installations of python-for-android allow for “aab” as an option.  Is there an easy fix for this? Thanks for any advice...

Robert

Sep 12, 2022, 8:46:46 PM9/12/22
to Kivy users support

If I were to guess I'd suggest that p4a defaults to aab for `--release`, so that would mean specify nothing.
But its just a guess.

Stephen Kirby

Sep 14, 2022, 1:36:24 PM9/14/22
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
tested buildozer with --release and indeed it generated a .aab file.  thx.